Director I - Pod Structures & Mechanical Systems at Virgin Hyperloop
To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
Pod Structures and Mechanical Systems team mandate is to design and deliver structural and mechanical sub-systems of Hyperloop pod, including but not limited to pod primary structures/doors/interiors/thermal management/life support systems within time and budget.
The Director of the Pod Structures and Mechanical Systems mandate is to lead the team through planning and assuring successful day to day execution in order to complete deliverables on time and on budget.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Accountable and responsible for all Pod structural and mechanical sub-systems (including Pod primary structures/doors/interiors/thermal management/life support systems) engineering development activities and completing deliverables to time and cost
- Identify, manage and mitigate technical risk, using the established Risk Management processes
- Direct Pod Structures and Mechanical systems team with technical leadership, resource management, execution, problem solving, risk management, scheduling, and budgeting through collaboration with work package Project Manager,
- Support VH high-level engineering strategy and planning,
- Build and manage the Pod Structures and Mechanical systems team to ensure that all key capabilities are identified and provided to the team: skills, facilities, processes, technology and information
- Recruit and maintain highly skilled team – Develop succession plans,
- Provide mentoring/coaching to engineers, helping them generate development plans and support their growth and learning,
- Lead and motivate the Pod Structures and Mechanical systems team, ensuring all staff are suitably supported. Serve the teams to give them environment to succeed,
- Manage people, define priorities, remove roadblocks and support team development:
- Plans, schedules, directs, reviews and approves work of employees,
- Manage conflicts and informs the VP of Product Development for complex cases,
- Perform Performance Reviews for employees under direct supervision,
- Maintain good communication with senior leadership and business support functions (Biz Dev, Talent Ops, Finance, Legal)
- Lead partnership with critical design and manufacturing partners. Own and manage relationship.
- Accountable for subcontract program work definition, progress, delivery of results, timely and cost-effective execution and risk management
- Accountable and responsible for the technical architecture definition, development, selection, hardware delivery and integration, and certification for the pod primary structures, doors, interior, thermal management system, and environmental control & life support system
- Accountable for developing and maintaining a technical development roadmap,
- Accountable for the technical architecture definition, design, development, integration, delivery, testing, and certification for the pod integrated product, including but not limited to primary structures, doors, interior, thermal management system, environmental control & life support system.
- Provide technical expertise on design of safe, lightweight, producible, certifiable, and reliable hard components for pod structures and mechanical systems,
- Review and consult on design work completed by teams, review neighboring Departments’ work with an eye towards system-level integrated performance against Hyperloop System requirements,
- Provide engineering decision recommendations for items impacting wider system operation, software, business requirements or business strategy, manufacturing strategy,
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- Minimum education: Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Physics or another related field or equivalent work experience
- Managed multi discipline teams
- Managed partnerships with critical design and manufacturing partners
- Developed and maintained a technical development roadmap
- Been responsible for the technical architecture definition, design, development, integration, delivery, testing, and certification of a product/System
- Demonstrated commercial accountability and ownership
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience in Electric Mobility, or Aerospace industry
WHY VIRGIN HYPERLOOP
- Our Benefits: medical (including infertility & mental health), dental, vision, life, FSA, HSA, 401k, and more
- Your Wellbeing: flexible work schedules, unlimited PTO, and 16 weeks of paid parental leave