Audio Director - Unpublished R&D Product at Riot Games
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
The Audio Director role lives within the Audio discipline. Sound design, music, and voiceover at Riot aim to provide lasting sonic experiences for players. We help breathe life into our games, cinematics, Esports, and more through the use of sound. We are working to improve ourselves and our craft through audio experimentation and by immersing ourselves in the games and media that we love.
Audio Directors are seasoned veterans when it comes to not only the craft of interactive game audio, but also the ability to guide, inspire and mentor others. Your deep industry experience provides you with the tools to collaborate on vision, strategy as well as manage the career growth of a group of sound designers.
As an Audio Director for an unpublished R&D product, you will report into the Product Lead on the project. You will work with multiple initiative teams, collaborating to outline the sonic vision as well as technical requirements for the game. You will partner with product owners, designers, artists, and engineers to support an exciting, cinematic, experience for players that supports gameplay. You will be responsible for managing the output of 3 additional sound designers on the team.
Please note, this position does not involve the creation or production of music.Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with product leaders to identify and set audio objectives, goals, and timelines. Develop and execute product audio vision and strategy, ensuring the delivery of all content for sound designers.
- Establish and communicate audio goals including how they align with product goals to direct reports, product leadership and others. Advocate for the audio discipline ensuring discipline and direct reports have all the necessary resources required to achieve the product goals.
- Manage a team of sound designers for performance and growth, through the use of "Personal Development Plans", recurring 1:1’s, and performance reviews. Ensure your team has the appropriate process and pipeline in place for audio content delivery.
- Run weekly work-in-progress reviews, audio playtests, feedback sessions and more to promote feedback towards achieving the quality bar.
- Record, edit, and design sound effects, features, systems, and other areas using industry standard methods and tools.
- Use in-house engine tools and Wwise to implement assets, ensuring quality of asset output by playtesting and gathering daily feedback on your content from your team and discipline.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience developing sound for games.
- Drive for results and create a team toward execution and player value delivery.
- People management, mentorship and leadership skills.
- Expertise in the holistic game audio process (Sound Design, Voice Over, Music Implementation, Technology, Player Experience, etc.).
- Knowledge of sound design creation tools (Pro Tools, Nuendo, Reaper, Izotope, Waves, Native Instruments, etc) & techniques.
- Knowledge of voice over processing tools and techniques and sound design, voice over and music implementation methods.
- Knowledge of audio middleware (Wwise, Fmod, Miles, etc.).
- Knowledge of programming or scripting languages (Lua, Python, etc.) and engine platform (Git. Unity, etc.)
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).