Yard Manager at NEXT Trucking
Greater LA Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 1:25 p.m. (PST) on Monday, December 2, 2019
NEXT was founded with a vision to implement solutions and bring change to a fragmented industry. As a FreightTech pioneer, we are designing technology-driven solutions to transform the $800B U.S. shipping & trucking industry. Our platform connects shippers with freight capacity for every step of a shipment’s journey.
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to provide world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion dollar puzzle and make freight painless.
Armed with experienced professionals from Google, Amazon, Salesforce and Twilio, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. We have been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Brookfield Ventures, GLP and Sequoia Capital.
Are you NEXT?
The Yard Manager is responsible for directing the efficient and cost-effective management of the NEXT container, trailer, chassis and truck storage yard. The mission for NEXT yard operations is to design, build and manage a high velocity, low touch and state of the art storage yard, with the goal to standardize and replicate as we grow throughout the United States. The Yard Operations Manager (YOM) will manage activities related to the movement of rolling equipment (trucks, trailers, containers, chassis, yard equipment), checking in/out drivers, organization of storage, and yard security. The YOM is responsible for budgeting, customer service, facility and equipment operation. In addition, the YOM will oversee maintenance processes, record keeping, safety protocol, and security services to ensure yard personnel, work teams, service providers, equipment and physical assets are safe and secure.
What You'll Do
- Manage the daily operations of the yard
- Responsible for work safety management and training, and federal/state/local regulatory compliance
- Direct and oversee record keeping, inspections, audits and safety training
- Ensure the timeliness and integrity of all inventory transactions
- Manage and maintain an effective Yard Management program to achieve specified accuracy rate
- Review and evaluate the performance of all yard operations functions, address performance gaps and take corrective action as needed to ensure each functional area is delivering on operating goals
- Assess business conditions, evaluate emerging business needs and take action to address near-term opportunities to improve service, reduce costs and/or generate incremental revenue to enhance operational results across the distribution system
- Analyze and redirect workflow to appropriate work centers to balance workloads
- Identify necessary remodels or replacement of obsolete or unproductive assets based on operational need and economic justification
- Responsible for personnel matters related to hiring, training/development, termination and grievance of employees
- Conduct performance appraisals and coach direct reports to enhance individual and team performance
What You'll Need to Have
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Logistics, Supply Chain Management or a related field preferred (relevant experience can be substituted for the required education on the basis of one calendar year of experience for one academic year of education)
- Three to five years of experience in yard operations
- Working knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) safety rules strongly preferred
- Proficiency with software applications and transportation systems
- Previous supervisory or management experience
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with customers and staff at all organizational levels
What You'll Receive
- Competitive salary + bonus
- Full Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401k w/company match
- Vacation and holidays
- Fun perks: open office, dog-friendly, unlimited snacks, and monthly catered lunches!
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry
NEXT is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing [email protected]
To all recruitment agencies: NEXT does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, NEXT employees or any other organization location. NEXT is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description