Testing Director at MotorTrend Group
Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
The RoleJob Summary & Responsibilities:
The Testing Director (full-time, salary, regular) is an expert in automotive performance testing, digital publishing, and the automotive industry. The Testing Director will oversee all vehicle testing and data collection and reporting of same for MotorTrend and other MotorTrend Group brands. Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leading MotorTrend’s vehicle testing team across multiple locations, capturing, analyzing, and extrapolating data for reviews, sales opportunities, and other content and situations as needed
- Maintaining, reviewing, and/or optimizing vehicle test procedures and data collection
- Ideating fresh testing procedures and protocols as needs arise, such as for electric and autonomous vehicles
- Ideating and consulting on business opportunities using vehicle data and testing opportunities
- Providing expertise and consultation for launch and maintenance of Used Car Buyer’s Guide
- Maintaining, reviewing, and/or optimizing vehicle specifications and templates for editorial and video content and New and Used Cars Buyer’s Guides
- Reviewing vehicle review, comparison test, New and Used Car Buyer’s Guide, MotorTrend Studio, feature, and news content for factual and technical accuracy
- Collecting vehicle test data using a VBox on vehicles ranging from high-performance to mainstream
- Working with other business units to align vehicle testing department with company goals and requirements
- Writing, editing, and ideating vehicle review, test, comparison test, feature, and news content
- Advising MotorTrend Studio team on technical information
- Travel to vehicle debuts, new-car launches, auto shows, and other destinations for content creation purposes while representing the MotorTrend brand
- Serving as on-camera talent for MotorTrend Studio editorial video productions
- Maintain, monitor, and/or advise on vehicle testing budget as needed
- This position will include supervising one or more employees where applicable
- Preferred 8+ years previous experience in a similar role
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent time management skills
- Deep knowledge of technical aspects of automobiles and the automotive industry
- Excels when working under high pressure situations
- Ability to multitask
- Maintains a positive and professional attitude at all times
- Must be able to operate both automatic and manual transmission vehicles with proficiency
- Must be able to operate high-performance vehicles with high proficiency
- The ability to sit for a prolonged period of time and view computer screen
- Ability to travel frequently and stand on sets
- Ability to physically perform testing and any other car-related activity
- Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides, ) and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
- VBox and other related vehicle testing equipment
- Work is primarily performed in an office environment that is well lit and
- Work will be performed in a variety of locations, including on racetracks, urban and rural roadways, and outdoors in unpredictable weather
NOTE: This position description reflects essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.