Senior System Administrator
THE PURPOSE:The Senior System Administrator’s role is to ensure the stable operation and implementation of computer systems and services provided by IT. This includes developing, planning, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all server hardware, and server software. The person will provide consistent reporting to the senior leadership team, manage vendors, and assess hardware/software business needs.
THE ROLE:Strategy & Planning
• Perform system and architecture design and capacity planning.
• Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures and associated training plans for systems management, appropriate use, and disaster recovery.
• Establish service level agreements with end users.
Acquisition & Deployment
• Oversee installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of server and IT related equipment and software.
• Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure products and services.
• Research products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
• Manage all server hardware and software including but not limited to physical servers, RAID arrays, tape libraries, virtual machine infrastructure, Microsoft active directory and cloud services.
• Work closely with the security team in managing IT security solutions, including endpoint protection, authentication, auditing and intrusion detection systems.
• Monitor and test server and storage performance and provide performance statistics and reports.
• Recommend, schedule, and perform system improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
• Practice asset management, including writing IT systems documentation, technical implementation guides and managing inventory.
• Implement security best practices in managing the entire infrastructure.
Collaboration & Communication• This person will be interacting with all levels of the department and the company—consistently clear oral and verbal communication is key
• Ability to present difficult ideas in user-friendly language and visuals
• Candidate will be advising multiple groups in key purchasing and implementation decisions
• Subject Matter Expert in the field—has a track record of analytical and problem-solving capabilities
• Has experience implementing projects full cycle and can provide examples of creative solutions
• Self-starter--many groups at Hyperloop One will rely on this person to diagnose/troubleshoot issues
• Ability to thrive in a high pressure and scaling environment
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:• College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or 7-10 years equivalent work experience
• Two years in virtualization experience using VMWare, (OpenStack optional)
• Five years installing, configuring and troubleshooting Windows based servers in an enterprise environment
• Two years installing, configuring and troubleshooting Linux servers
• One year in Office 365 hybrid or pure cloud environment
• Solid understanding of basic networking fundamentals (VLANs, VPNs, load balancing, TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS).
• Two years SAN/storage
• Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
• Working knowledge of IT Service Management practices
• Can and will do the necessary research for the products and services the business needs
• Certifications in the IT Industry (E.G. MCSE, Security+, RHCE, ITIL, etc)
• Experience designing and deploying load balancers
• PHP knowledge
• vSAN experience
• GCP, AWS and/or Azure experience
• Web Services knowledge
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation.