Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
Relativity Space is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space -- starting with rockets. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace technology, Relativity’s platform vertically integrates intelligent robotics and 3D autonomous manufacturing technology to build the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket. Relativity’s investors include Fidelity, Blackrock, Tiger Global Y-Combinator, Mark Cuban, BOND, Social Capital, and Playground Capital, among others.
We are looking for a Sr Construction Manager to join our growing team at our headquarters in Long Beach, California. You will be responsible for real estate development, AE design development, and new construction to support Relativity’s factory and surrounding facilities. You bring curiosity for our unique technology and our production processes, and are eager to develop a next generation factory of the future.
This position is part of our Launch, Infrastructure, and Facilities organization, which oversee launch operations, new construction projects, and facility operations and maintenance. Our facilities are a key part to Relativity’s success in creating the first autonomous rocket factory, and delivering industry-leading launch services to our customers.
What you’ll do:
As a Sr. Construction Manager, you connect various internal technical teams to define facility requirements and to develop solutions and will be our owner’s representative to outside facing consultants, contractors, and government agencies.
You will be responsible for leading a small, dedicated team, and will be responsible for managing the design and construction of new infrastructure. You will be responsible for forward project planning, scheduling, sequencing and will be responsible for the development of construction drawings, request for proposals, competitive bidding, bid evaluations, sub-contractor selections, sub-contractor management, and construction management across Relativity’s southern California real estate portfolio.
What you need to know:
As a Sr. Construction Manager at Relativity, you will be at the forefront of creating a world class launch vehicle factory and infrastructure. You enjoy working with teams and are able to work autonomously to ensure project completion. You have a strong background in field engineering, construction engineering, and construction management, and you have a passion for taking ideas and designs and making them become a reality in the built environment. You are a learner and doer at heart, who continuously engages across technical and operations teams to achieve amazing outcomes. You are willing to travel up 25% to support ongoing design, construction, and operations across Relativity’s sites.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, or related discipline
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working in construction with a mix of hands-on field experience and construction management.
- Experience with design documentation, construction drawings, construction bid solicitation, contractor selection, construction management, field superintendent, permitting, QA/QC, and Safety
- Experience with project scoping, budgeting, scheduling from both a day-to-day perspective as well as overall construction management and forward planning
- Experience with development, permitting, land use controls, conditional use permits, and working with local government agencies.
- Experience with Architectural, Structural, Civil, and MEPF design, construction, and operation
- Ability to create 3D models utilizing NX, SolidWorks, AutoCAD or similar CAD programs
- Understanding of standard construction procedures, best practices, means & methods.
- Understanding of California Building Code, International Building Code, and MEPF specific codes
- Ability to manage a team across multiple offices including performing individual reviews, giving constructive feedback and managing workloads
- Demonstrated customer service excellence and ability to communicate highly effectively in verbal/written form with internal and external customers
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
- High organizational skills in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to design and understand precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and modeling applications
- Ability to perform and manage technically complex projects using independent judgment and personal initiative
- Recognize and act on opportunities; maintain flexibility to adjust as requirements shift or constraints change
- Ability to work in dynamic environments to execute real-time tasks in tight operation windows
Nice to haves but not required:
- 10+ years of experience working in construction with a mix of hands-on field experience, and construction management.
- Advanced degree or training in engineering, construction, operations, or construction project management
- Experience designing, building, or operating manufacturing facilities
- Experience working with industrial real estate and/or facilities and systems within the aerospace industry
- Experience working with local (Long Beach), state (CA), and/or federal government agencies
- Experience, training, and education in three of the above
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.