Manager of Audit I - Compliance at City National Bank (Greater LA Area, CA)
The Audit Manager I position is a leadership role as an auditor-in-charge to guide a team of auditors to assess risks, develop detailed audit programs, identify data analytic opportunities, execute audit programs, analyze results of testing performed, and effectively communicate audit results to the Audit Senior Manager/Director and senior management in meetings, presentations, and/or written reports and memorandums. The position will support City National Bank's Internal Audit in providing independent, objective assurance over the design and operating effectiveness of the Bank's risk management practices, governance processes, system of internal controls for the Compliance function. Additionally, the position is responsible for maintaining and executing continuous monitoring program in accordance with audit methodology and taking into consideration industry development, emerging risks, and regulatory changes and expectations.
Audit and Assurance General Requirements
Plans, executes and evaluates audit test plans for projects of low to medium complexity with a risk-based audit approach.
Assesses risks and controls, designs comprehensive audit programs, executes audit procedures, supervises and reviews the work of others, analyzes and synthesizes results of testing performed, effectively communicates results to senior management to affect change, and delivers well written audit reports and other forms of communication.
Executes regulatory issue validation activities related to the Compliance function
Manages staff assigned to engagements, and collaborates with other audit groups to effectively plan, integrate and execute audits.
Understands the Compliance function and risks, including but not limited to lending, deposit, and privacy regulations, guidance, regulatory expectations and general IT risks in order to identify and assess key control activities in business processes. Integrates with business audit teams to provide scoping, testing, and subject matter expertise over consumer compliance areas.
Leads and executes continuous monitoring activities periodically for the area assigned. Gathers and evaluates information received from business units and other external/regulatory sources.
Ability to multi-task and work in a dynamically changing environment.
Complies fully with all Bank policies, procedures, audit methodologies, training and regulatory requirements.
- Data Analytics and TechnologyDiscover patterns, insights, trends and anomalies from straightforward analyses, data sets and visualization tools.Execute basic analyses (e.g. descriptive) and create simple visualization using standard tools.Develop requests for advanced analytics by providing detailed and clear questions to the Data Analytics Lead or Data Scientist.Applies advanced analytical techniques to test hypotheses and add insights into audit findings.Understands concepts of data lineage and data stewardship in order to develop effective data analytics that provide the insights.
- Relationship Building and Client ExperienceSupports the Audit Director proactively in their ongoing monitoring and discussions with business management.Continuously builds trusting relationships with Internal Audit peers and business management.Acts as the key contact and responds to inquiries from business throughout the audit process.Challenges others' thinking or approaches in a constructive manner.Advises stakeholders on internal control and governance matters and conducts proactive and ongoing risk management discussions with business leaders.Influences key stakeholders to gain buy-in, overcomes challenges and delivers on high priority initiatives, and draws conclusions or makes recommendations based on audit evidence that may involve ambiguity.
- Staff Performance and MentoringActs as a role model/mentor to more junior auditors and provides constructive feedback.Enhances and maintains staff morale. Prepares and conducts formal/informal training for less experienced staff members.May participate in interviews and evaluations of new applicants.
- Banking Operations' areas of focus are:
Deposit Operations, Accounts Opening and Client Due Diligence, Payment Processing, Cards Operations and Servicing, Call Centers, and FinTech
Treasury Management Services
Corporate Functions - Fraud, Procurement, Corporate Real Estate, Community Reinvestment, Digital Channels, Marketing, and Product Strategy
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum 4 years of audit or related experience in banking operations, compliance, and/or risk management activities.
- Minimum 1 year of experience conducting internal audits within financial institutions.
- CPA - Certified Public Accountant Or
- CIA - Certified Internal Auditor Or
- CISA - Certified Information Systems Auditor Or
- CISSP - Certified Information Systems Security Professional Or
- CAMS - Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist Or
- CFE - Certified Fraud Examiner Or
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively present to peers and business management.
- Demonstrated negotiation and leadership skills needed to convey ideas and obtain management buy-in for constructive change.
- Effectively manage ambiguity, work independently, think innovatively and demonstrate critical problem-solving skills.
- Strong understanding of internal auditing standards, COSO and risk assessment practices.
- Strong understanding of internal control concepts and application of such.
- General working knowledge of banking industry laws and regulations.
- Experience in planning and juggling multiple projects and with varying team members.
- Experience in coaching junior auditor.
- Sound knowledge and experience in IT audit is strongly preferred.
- Familiar with data analytics, robotic process automation and artificial intelligence tools.
- Experience in use of data visualization and reporting – e.g. Tableau and/or Alteryx is a plus.
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.