Environmental Health & Safety Staff at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA)
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
We remain committed to maintaining a safe environment for hiring as we look forward to the future of work. Click here for information on Aerospace's COVID-19 directives and safety procedures implemented to keep our workplace safe.
Aerospace is seeking an EHS Staff III or IV with the skill set to manage and implement Occupational and Laboratory Safety and Environmental programs such as Hazard Communication, Chemical Hygiene, Laboratory Inspection, Hazardous Waste Management, Safety Education, Industrial Hygiene, Indoor Air Quality, RF Safety, and others as assigned management. The candidate will be responsible for developing, managing, and implementing the site and Enterprise Safety and Environmental programs referenced above. This position will also lend support for the related activities of traditional Occupational Health and Safety programs and the Enterprise COVID-19 response effort. The selected candidate will report directly to the EHS Director.
Onsite in El Segundo, CA
What You'll Be Doing
- Conduct hazard evaluation and approve hazardous material or chemical purchase in support for research and development function for the enterprise.
- Ensure all activities related to the use of hazardous materials or chemicals are conducted in a safe manner.
- Work with researchers and technicians to review and approve Standard Operating Procedures detailing all aspect of the proposed experiment involving hazards through the internal Project Safety Review process.
- Conduct scheduled and unannounced EHS inspection of laboratory spaces to identify hazards and track findings to closure.
- Respond and mitigate accidental chemical spill to minimize exposure or harm to personnel, the environment, and Aerospace property.
- Investigate injuries/incidents involving hazardous materials, chemicals, or conditions to determine root cause and develop corrective actions and track to completion.
- Conduct instructor-led safety training sessions regarding laboratory safety and compliance, safety regulations, and other EHS awareness programs.
- Conduct industrial hygiene assessment and indoor air quality investigation using direct-read instrumentation or sampling media and provide guidance and report based on the results.
- Provide guidance for the recognition, safe access, and awareness of RF emitting devices.
- Support the Enterprise COVID-19 response effort to protect onsite employees, ensure business continuality, and adhere with regulations and public health orders.
- Lead the Enterprise EHS Brown Bag Program and host quarterly guest speakers on the safety topics
- Lead and maintain the Federally Funded Research and Development Centers Working Group as the representative of Aerospace among our industry peers.
- Interface with regulatory representatives and provide timely and accurate submission of necessary reports to regulatory agencies.
- Ability to lead and continuously improve assigned safety programs based on knowledge of federal, state, and local regulatory agency rules and regulations.
- Implementation of strategic initiatives that drive continuous improvement.
- Develop and implement EHS policies and Aerospace Work Instructions (AWI's).
- Investigate and resolve EHS issues, questions, or concerns received from within the company, among outside customers, regulatory agencies, etc.
- Communicate effectively with senior management, peers, staff, and internal and external customers.
- Establish and maintain proactive and positive working relationships with internal stakeholders, functional partners and appropriate regulatory agencies.
- Conduct administrative functions such as data entry to comply with company recordkeeping requirements.
- Prioritize job duties depending on site and enterprise needs and work on complex tasks requiring safety evaluations.
- Participate as an emergency responder in EHS incidents as well as being an active member on the Emergency Preparedness Team.
What You Need to be Successful
- 6 years of relevant work experience with a bachelor's degree or 4 years of relevant work experience with a master's degree.
- Experience with OSHA and EPA standards.
- Experience with environmental, health, and/or safety best practices, standards and methodologies.
- Strong technical background with safety program management and compliance.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in relevant disciplines a plus
- Professional Certifications preferred (e.g., CIH, CSP and/or CHMM)
- 0 Hour HazWoper
- First Aid, CPR, AED Certified
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected] You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.