Director Systems Engineering at LegalZoom
The Director of Systems Engineering will lead a stable, secure, documented, scalable and responsive systems environment, while ensuring reliable high performance operation of all infrastructure, websites and other technical services. Exercises broad IT leadership and provides direction by developing and communicating a clear vision of technology uses and benefits. Understands the business strategy; capable of readily relating it to the IT roadmap. The Director will provide leadership, management, coaching and technical expertise for the Systems Engineering team.
What you’ll do:
- Provide leadership and management of the Systems Engineering team to envision future directions and goals; make effective and efficient use of resources; set high achievable aspiration for services and operations.
- Provide strategic leadership and direction to meet Legalzoom’s changing needs for our host environments (Data Centers, Cloud, MDF/IDF Closets) where all shared infrastructure systems are hosted (Network, Servers, Storage, & Wiring).
- Ensure the design and implementation of secure, highly available, and cost effective solutions that support Legalzoom’s business and security goals.
- Implement effective tools for automating as much of the deployment and support of technology systems as is feasible & cost-effective;
- Design and deploy fully redundant network solutions that support multiple user sites and multiple datacenters in both premise and cloud environments.
- Establish processes that includes pre-deployment testing and validation of all HA solutions to ensure we meet our business’s uptime goals.
- Provide network, server, and storage solutions with preventative maintenance and proactive monitoring velocity and quality.
- Support a heterogeneous environment that includes multiple vendors such as: Cisco, HP, EMC, NetApp, F5, Riverbed, Pulse Secure, Nagios, Solar Winds, Akamai, MS Windows, and Red Hat & CentOS Linux.
- Direct research on potential technology solutions and implementations in support of new initiatives, opportunities, and procurement efforts.
- Design and deploy performance monitoring and metrics-driven solutions that help ensure an uninterrupted customer journey in all applications and infrastructure are quantified, tracked and managed
- Assure Disaster Recovery approach aligns closely to Business Continuity Plans
- Responsible for implementation of information security remediation of identified vulnerabilities
- Enhance escalation procedures and workflow for the timely routing and resolution of all issues across IT disciplines
- Provide regular performance feedback to employees including written performance reviews
- Lead individual projects as assigned using project life cycle methodologies
- Define IT Infrastructure standards and policies
- Champion efforts focused on attracting, developing and retaining a high performing team, offer ongoing feedback, professional growth opportunities and overall career guidance
- Contribute to the department’s identity, standards, guidelines and best practices
- Managing and working with remote teams, possibly across several time zones while still maintaining high quality
- Maintain deep technical and business knowledge of industry directions and trends in IT Infrastructure compute, network and storage.
- Provide support for operations and support teams, including root cause analysis and preventative analysis
- Develops long term vision of technologies and solutions. Collaborates with Technology leadership in the planning and implementation of technology roadmaps. Assists the team in researching solutions, solicits input from outside industry experts and recommends solutions to meet business requirements
- 12+ years in leadership role including experience leading IT Infrastructure Engineering or Operations, setting priorities and plans to meet business goals and objectives
- 7+ years of experience leading teams in a large scale IT technical environments with enterprise grade solutions
- Experience with supporting multiple active datacenters geographically distributed
- Ability to manage cross-functional resources in a matrixed environment with multiple geographic locations
- Strong vendor management skills
- Strong project management experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to provide direction for a highly technical infrastructure team that supports a complex environment including compute, network and storage - on premise and on Cloud
- Extensive experience leading technical teams responsible for:
- Windows and LINUX servers – Virtual and physical
- VmWare virtualization technologies
- LAN and WAN networking
- Enterprise Storage and replication
- Secure Infrastructure & PCI Compliance best practices
- Highly available Data Center technologies and processes
- ITIL v3+ guidelines and NIST security framework
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field required
- Broad experience building, leading, managing and mentoring high-performance teams
- Deep understanding of enterprise grade network, server, storage, and hosting solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong sense of self-motivation, organization and attention to detail
- Demonstrated success in building and maintaining relationships with key technology vendors and internal stakeholders
- Experience working in a demanding and fast paced environment
- Ability to successfully manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of the time
LegalZoom is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to diversity.
We are unable to accept applicants who currently or in the future will require a work Visa.