Director, Studio Development at MotorTrend Group
Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, the MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. Launched with MotorTrend’s iconic magazine 70 years ago, the company now has a global reach that includes MotorTrend TV, the MotorTrend streaming service, MotorTrend.com, and Hot Rod magazine, with franchises that include MotorTrend Car of the Year, Roadkill, Wheeler Dealers, Best Driver’s Car and dozens more. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up everyday intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
The Director, Studio Development (full-time, exempt, regular) is responsible for helping MotorTrend’s internal studio create innovative show ideas and manage the creative ideation/pitch process in order to make the best automotive content possible that delights current fans as well as attracts new audiences. The Director of Internal Development will focus on working with the VP of Development on researching and generating internal series concepts for the MotorTrend Studio, shepherding them through the development process, and supporting them through pre-production as needed. As part of the internal development team, this role will interface with the Head of MotorTrend Studios and Head of Studio Production.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Working with the internal MotorTrend studio to generate new show ideas for distribution on direct-to-consumer SVOD platforms
- Work to develop new formats and concepts for studio productions
- Identify new prospective talent in the automotive industry and build relationships to integrate that talent into studio produced programming
- Write and outline series pitches including series synopsis, episode outlines, and tone guides
- Generate pitch materials to progress internal ideas to production to greenlight including pitch decks, sizzle reels, and supporting creative documentation
- Guide the creation of development materials from 3rd party production companies utilizing internal MotorTrend ideas
- Manage data driven user testing and research process on new studio led programming
- Work with production and marketing to build tone/visual identity of content for promotion and marketing
- Manage pitch meetings and track development ideas from existing MotorTrend talent
- Support VP of Development in reviewing & evaluating potential projects
- This position will not include supervising one or more employees where applicable.
- BA/BS degree
- 7+ years’ experience in non-scripted television development.
- Experience in unscripted writing and unscripted format
- Development experience at a production company or network required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills to internal execs and external partners
- Advanced skills with PowerPoint and Keynote required
- Relationships with unscripted production showrunners/talent is a plus
- Experience with Photoshop is a plus
- Exceptional ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple ongoing projects simultaneously
- Attention to detail and stays on top of deadlines
- Strong time management and organizational skill
- Self-motivated and proactive; team player
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.