Director of Risk Management & Asset Protection at sweetgreen
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 3,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means.
The Director of Risk Management & Asset Protection is responsible for the development and administration of strategies, policies and procedures that contribute to effective protection and loss reduction programs while maintaining expense controls. This position will oversee risk management, crisis response, safety, and asset protection for sweetgreen restaurants and support facilities. Responsible for design and implementation of security measures for the protection of company safety and assets.
LOCATION AND TRAVEL
- LA required
- Position will require multi-state travel up to 50% of the time
You may perform any or all of the following duties in the areas of risk management, loss prevention, safety and crisis management. The role will be primarily focused on risk management and loss prevention, including managing a business continuity program, but the role will also encompass leading our crisis management team with various stakeholders.
- Develop, maintain and implement risk, safety and crisis management and loss prevention operating strategies, policies and procedures that meet or exceed industry “best practices” in order to reduce exposure, improve security and increase profitability.
- Facilitate a risk and control self-assessment process, and work with control owners as required and lead/participate in testing of key controls.
- Conduct trend analysis and regular root-cause assessments of recent incidents with key stakeholders, including restaurant operators, and determine relevant next steps to mitigate similar incidents in the future.
- Manage sweetgreen’s insurance program, including renewals and claim management.
- Develop a training program regarding safety, risk and crisis management and loss prevention as well a system of regular reporting on relevant risk and safety related metrics and data in order to strengthen the culture, process, and documentation related to these initiatives.
- Responsible for selecting and managing various third party vendors to implement loss prevention strategies at company operated locations.
- Build a network of systems & tools to help sweetgreen anticipate and decision on emerging threats to our business, brand reputation, or the sweetgreen community at large.
- Lead the business continuity program, including developing business continuity and disaster recovery plans and developing a business continuity governance framework (e.g. Charter, policies, operating structure, monthly Business Continuity Committee agenda, standards and guidelines), and working cross functionally with various internal and external stakeholders to ensure the success and effectiveness of the BC Program.
- Facilitate the development, exercising and maintenance of response, recovery and restoration plans to deal with a broad range of emerging or newly recognized risks that could cause disruptions in business operations. These risks include, but are not limited to, weather-related events, fires, pandemics, terrorist acts, criminal acts, or political or social turmoil.
- Establish process and systems to enable fast first response times to emergencies + incidents.
- During a crisis, coordinate all necessary and appropriate functions across the company, including but not limited to stakeholders in Operations, Food Safety, PR, Brand, Legal and IT. Facilitating cross-functional decision-making and approval of all internal and external communications related to the issue.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- You are an excellent communicator and an even better listener.
- You are a strategic thinker who will plan ahead to avoid crises in the future, but also be able to act quickly when an inevitable crisis hits
- You are comfortable and confident in presenting on your plans to senior management and ultimately the Board of Directors
- You are both a doer but also a facilitator and a cross-functional consensus builder
- You thrive under a fast-paced environment and are not fazed by the nature of high-pressure incidents.
- You can identify a problem, immediate next steps, and the complementary long-term solution—running both in parallel against aggressive deadlines.
- Passion for helping people and furthering the sweetgreen mission
- 7-10+ years in Asset Protection/Risk Management field, previous management experience is required
- Experience working at a national restaurant and/or retail chain with 100+ locations is a strong plus
- Proven-track record managing/implementing risk, safety, crisis and business continuity plans and managing crisis response incidents
- Excellent written and verbal communication + presentation skills
- Ability to identify viable operational process improvements with metrics and risk analysis, implementing changes in systems and procedures
- Position requires the ability to analyze complex variable situations and identify appropriate courses of action that align with city, state and federal laws or guidelines, in addition to the company business operations. The position requires excellent planning, prioritizing, attention to detail and the ability to work unsupervised and directly communicate with multiple levels of the organization and state and federal agencies. Ability to use independent thinking and professional judgment with shifting business priorities.
- Position requires 24/7 availability for incident response through an established on-call rotation
What you'll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan granted based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
- Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.