Director of Quality at Relativity Space
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Director/Senior Manager of Quality will be responsible for leading the team that assures the quality of Relativity’s hardware and defines the processes to do so. You will be responsible for architecting how we do quality and reliability at Relativity—from system-level design integrity to as-built vehicle verification. You will have the opportunity to set the tone for Quality at Relativity by building the inaugural team, defining the processes, and establishing interdepartmental relationships needed to accomplish that goal. The candidate will play a critical role in both the introduction and scaling of Relativity’s launch vehicle production. This is a unique opportunity to define Quality for an entirely new production process of additive manufacturing. We are seeking a highly-motivated individual to lead the front on producing the industry’s highest quality 3D-printed parts.
What you’ll do:
- Define Relativity’s design and build reliability program. Build the company’s team of Quality Engineers and Inspectors. Lay the foundation for how hardware gets screened and processed at Relativity. Ownership will include the following:
- Design: drawing standardization, DFM, and configuration management and control.
- Build: receiving inspection, in-process build verification, standard rework/repair documentation, CMM, containments, etc.
- Program: issue ticket system ownership, as-built verification, root cause/corrective action, etc.
- Drive initiatives to support the efficient and high-quality build of our first vehicle. Some projects may include: commissioning our Quality Inspection workcenter, developing process controls to enable simplified inspections, or creating build walk down checklists.
- Establish inaugural QA workcenters, including receiving inspection, defect cages, metrology rooms, etc.
- Develop strong working relationships with Engineering, Additive, Manufacturing, and Launch teams to ensure all company objectives can be met.
- Accountable for both the strategic and tactical vision for Quality. Architect Relativity’s Quality roadmap and execute on defined deliverables.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor of Science degree in manufacturing engineering, industrial engineering & operations, mechanical engineering, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in an operations-focused role within a high-mix, development environment.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience leading or managing a team.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in one of the following: QMS development, NDT, precision inspection, quality engineering, etc.
- Extensive experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- In-depth knowledge of configuration management, manufacturing methods, and process quality controls.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Successfully led initial AS9100 certification for an aerospace program.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Well-versed in process development and first-time quality efforts.
- Highly organized and able to provide structure and direction in areas without definition.
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out to cross-functional organizations.
- A strong sense of self-awareness and able to influence others outside of your organization.
- Working knowledge of typical PLM, ERP, MES, and QMS systems.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!