Director of Production at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
Relativity seeks a highly talented Director of Production to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will provide outstanding technical leadership in the development of the autonomous factory for Relativity’s Terran launch vehicles, as well as helping build a world-class production and automation team. A high degree of autonomy and leadership is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
Our mission is to change the people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. Relativity's goal is to revolutionize aerospace manufacturing through 3D printing and automation. The production team is responsible for developing and automating our 3D printing capability in pursuit of rapid and reliable production of our Terran launch vehicles.
As the Director of Production, you will lead the team that owns and designs the autonomous factory for Relativity centered around our Stargate 3D printers. In addition, you will be responsible for developing the factory layout, production flow, supply chain and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system working closely with the vehicle engineering and operations teams. You will manage and oversee the revolutionary manufacturing process and production of launch vehicles using industry leading automation techniques to minimize the touch labor, lead time and cost while maintaining the highest levels of reliability and safety. Through the use of large scale additive manufacturing you will lead the engineering and automation of the launch vehicle manufacturing and assembly. The success of this team is also highly dependent on your willingness to recruit, build, and mentor a world class automation team.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in engineering or similar discipline
- 5+ years of demonstrated technical management and leadership experience
- Knowledge of complex hardware manufacturing, production, and/or supply chain processes
- Hands on experience with hardware and software automation
- Track record of building and managing a team with successful production product delivery
- Solid interpersonal skills to interact with both internal and external groups to overcome associated constraints
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 7+ years of experience with aerospace production and manufacturing
- Experience with metallic additive manufacturing
- Hands on experience with implementing an ERP/MES system for aerospace hardware
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.