We're looking for a Director of US Customs Compliance to keep Flexport and our client’s in compliance with the ever-changing government regulations concerning import and export declaration filings. In this role, you’ll set the vision and strategy for Flexport Customs Compliance for the US. You’ll be responsible for implementing strategic plans and objectives that align with Flexport’s strategies and overseeing a team that supports operations compliance needs. You’ll work closely with Customs Operations and Trade Advisory providing oversight and regulatory expertise. As a technology driven company we are looking for a candidate that will be able to implement new compliance solutions to increase our overall level of compliance while leveraging modern technology solutions to allow for deeper insight into all compliance activity.
- You’ll oversee and update a framework of global policies, processes, and procedures to ensure internal and external clients comply with the laws and regulations affecting shipments.
- You’ll lead and direct a team of professionals committed to ensuring company compliance with all regulatory laws impacting a US customs brokerage operation.
- You’ll provide guidance to operations teams, and manage escalations from, operations or our clients, regarding US trade compliance and regulatory matters.
- You’ll create, assess, and improve, compliance procedures, processes, and training to support the U.S. customs organization priorities, including ongoing audit and monthly scorecards.
- You’ll develop and implement training programs to ensure employees are up to date and are compliant with all aspects of Customs and trade regulations in the United States.
- You’ll review new technology solutions to ensure they will maintain our high level of compliance while streamlining operations.
- You’ll respond to inquiries from and interact with Customs and other related government agencies.
- You’ll monitor and report the effectiveness of current US processes and oversight measures and evaluate exposure to risks
- You’ll keep abreast of changing regulations and industry practices by building alliances with key industry associations and peers, reading regulations, and attending industry conferences.
- You’ll build alliances with key industry organizations to drive pertinent policy, legal, or regulatory change, and participate in trade-related associations promoting Flexport’s thought leadership.
- You’ll cultivate an atmosphere of transparency and problem-solving.
- You’ll thrive in a fast growth, fast-paced, open space work environment.
You should have:
- 10+ years of professional experience working in customs brokerage or trade compliance
- A leadership track record of 10+ years of progressively increasing responsible experience leading teams, developing staff and leveraging technology to enable business process efficiency
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of trade regulations and application to real-world customs brokerage issues
- Excellent business, operational, analytical and strategic planning skills with demonstrated strong attention to working in a highly collaborative culture
- Ability to lead through influence in a team-oriented, dynamic and complex diversified environment
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills, including being able to present to all levels of an audience, including public speaking
- Strong interpersonal communication skills that inspire, motivate and build trust, and result in effective working relationships with colleagues and business partners
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity
- A Customs Brokerage License
- A degree in international business or supply chain or similar equivalent experience
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. Read about three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.