The Director of Corporate Communications is critical to the success of the Growth team and the public image of GumGum. Reporting to the VP of Global Marketing within our Growth Division, this role leads the strategic development and execution of top-level communications activities for GumGum. The role is seen as a dynamic leadership role and works closely with the executive team, internal stakeholders and external media partners to uphold GumGum’s reputation and elevate its brand recognition in alignment with our company values.
Key areas of responsibility include media relations, executive & crisis communications and corporate branding. The Manager of Corporate Communications has extensive experience dealing with key business media and developing strategic communications initiatives for corporate-level executives. The role also requires a good understanding of the advertising technology industry, the ability to identify emerging trends and how GumGum can effectively respond to these in unique ways. This role is best suited for an individual with a detective-like curiosity who enjoys uncovering interesting stories and data points from team members in the trenches with clients.
- Media Relations
- Develop and maintain a communications strategy that supports upcoming company announcements, employees, awards, new products and more.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with reporters and industry analysts with a focus on business and ad tech publications in the US
- Oversee US PR agencies, freelancers, writers and designers when applicable.
- Collaborate with international PR firms/freelancers and regional managers to ensure that US assets are localized and that our message is consistent globally.
- Work cross functionally with subject matters experts and data teams to create a steady stream of insights, educational and semi-promotional content materials.
- Identify thought leadership opportunities for commentary or bylines in trade outlets and ensure that all advertising executives are represented regularly.
- Work with internal and external contacts for speakers bureau opportunities.
- Create external facing documents such as press releases, research reports and other resources that can be presented to journalists and analysts.
- Own internal documents such as reporter briefs, newsworthy industry topics and other resources required for executives to speak intelligently to the press.
- Develop a quarterly calendar of corporate communications announcements in alignment with marketing and executive communications initiatives.
- Executive Communications
- Ensure that the CEO has its own media relations plan and is the main voice in the media and analyst community. Ensure speaking opportunities are fully vetted.
- Create a media grid that ranks opportunities and articulates which executive is best placed to be assigned to these (CEO, CTO, CGO etc).
- Lay-out expectations from executives including response times depending on the type and quality of media inquiries.
- Provide communications support to the CEO on an ongoing basis. This includes assistance with speeches, key messages, and speaking/engagement platforms.
- Collaborate with internal operations contacts for employee engagement initiatives in an effort to to align external and internal communications.
- Manage news and leadership sections for gumgum.com
- Crisis Communications
- Build a framework for managing communications during a crisis and activate as necessary.
- Work with CEO and executive leadership to manage internal and external reputation and effectively communicate response.
- Corporate Branding
- Ensure corporate branding, tone and messaging is applied consistently on all external facing communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or similar
- Minimum 5 years of experience directly supporting an executive(s)
- Understanding/Experience of Ad Tech industry and current key issues
- Work efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility and adaptability in an ever-changing environment
- Excellent organizational skills with a sense of urgency to follow through
- Strong work ethic and eagerness to learn
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously and autonomously
- Tech and Web-savvy with the ability to learn new concepts quickly
- Strong problem-solving skills including ability to proactively anticipate requirements and identify/mitigate potential issues before they occur
- Detail-orientated with expertise establishing/maintaining organized administrative processes and systems
- Strong Google Suite, Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide a high level of service and to effectively and comfortably communicate with internal and external customers.
- Willing and able to work extended hours as needed
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including proficiency with timely consolidation and distribution of reports, meeting agendas, minutes, action items, etc
- Demonstrate executive presence, maturity and sound judgment, along with the ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Ability to project manage while actively managing key stakeholders
- Proven ability to plan and manage the operational process for maximum efficiency and productivity
- Ability to streamline and implement new structures and roles that create speed, efficiency, and support rapidly shifting business demands
- A balance between strategic mindset and focused execution
- Comfortable with an unstructured role that requires frequent changes in prioritization of time and focus, in a fast-paced environment
- Integrity and emotional intelligence: the Director will need to create relationships with and influence a wide range of internal teams, always acting with the best interest of the company in mind, and handling sensitive/confidential information
- A professional network of media contacts and relationships
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively
- Ownership mentality and proven ability to get things done without dedicated resources or oversight
- Tenacity, drive, and work ethic
- Ability to work with individuals from different teams and backgrounds
- Enthusiasm with a positive outlook and “can-do” attitude
- Professional attitude with the ability to comfortably communicate with internal and external partners
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare and dependent care FSA
- Stock incentive program
- Paid parental leave
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Commuter perks
- Stocked kitchen
- Dog-friendly HQ office - we love our fur babies!
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- Women of GumGum - a community of women across our global organization aimed at empowering one another
*Please note that we are not currently accepting candidates from recruiting agencies or 3rd parties.*
WE INVITE YOU TO LEARN MORE ABOUT GUMGUM!
We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external).
We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
At GumGum, we innovate. Our two divisions, Advertising and Sports, are powered by expansive, sophisticated AI-driven marketing and analytics solutions. Our vision is clear: We want to use our proprietary technology to solve the hard problems across the media industry. As a company, we celebrate kindness, resilience, the courage to think outside the box and the importance of having fun. All of our internal operations and decisions are undertaken with complete transparency, with a highly accessible executive, leadership team. For GumGummers, we believe in providing all the necessary tools, resources and guidance needed for them to excel. And, they do excel.
GumGum is constantly evolving to be at the forefront of computer vision and machine learning advancements. With nearly 10 years experience, we use our proprietary image recognition technology to deliver highly engaging, contextually relevant ad experiences across premium publishers all over the world.
Our Products & Services…
Our Advertising business serves contextual marketing messages in line with content users are actively engaged with.
Our Sports business helps marketers and rights holders understand the full media value of their sponsorship investments across broadcast and social media. And we deliver on brand safety by leveraging our AI to detect unsafe text and imagery, allowing us to deliver ads in brand safe, contextually relevant environments.
What’s a Hackathon? We’re glad you asked. Our employees split into teams and spend 48 hours ‘hacking’ together before presenting their ideas to our executive team. It’s a chance for anyone within our company to showcase the visions they want to bring to fruition.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award 2020 and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to work in 2020, and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Oh, and doggies…
We love our dogs so much, we even have an Instagram dedicated to them! Follow us: @dogsofgumgum
Careers at GumGum
GumGum Women in Tech Panel - Living a Balanced Life
Women of GumGum Around the World
Innovators in Esports Content
Sponsorship Targeting with Visual Intelligence
GumGum Sports - Sizzle Reel - 2019 (EMEA)
GumGum - LinkedIn