Senior Counsel, Labor and Employment
We’re looking for a Senior Counsel, Labor and Employment to join Procore’s Legal team. In this role, you’ll partner with members of our Executive, Operations, and People teams across the globe, to manage and execute on a broad range of employment practices initiatives including recruiting, employee benefits and compensation, immigration, employee relations, compliance, risk management, and more.
As a successful Senior Counsel, Labor and Employment, you’re an astute negotiator with impeccable judgment, communication, and interpersonal skills. You’re able to operate autonomously while being a collaborative team player who brings a positive, “can-do” attitude to the workplace and internal clients.
This position will report to our Associate General Counsel and can be based in either the company’s Carpinteria, California headquarters or Austin, Texas office. We’re looking for someone to join us immediately.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as the subject matter expert in all areas of federal and state labor and employment laws, including Title VII, FMLA, NLRA, ADA, FLSA, ADEA, WARN and OSHA
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local employment practices laws, rules and regulations
- Provide strategic legal counsel and risk management advice to management and the People team and execute on a wide variety of HR and employment practices matters
- Conduct internal employee investigations and respond to all manner of inquiries from management and the People team relating to labor and employment matters on a daily basis, among other activities
- Lead the Legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation, and refinement of best-in-class labor- and employment-related practices, policies, guidelines, tools, programs, and forms that align with the company’s employee engagement strategy, values, and business goals
- Prepare and conduct regular employee and management trainings on relevant matters, and managing company training programs in conjunction with the People team and our Learning & Development organization
- Represent and defend the company as necessary in front of applicable federal, state and local regulatory and enforcement authorities
- Support the company’s Global Mobility team with respect to immigration, secondments, expatriation, and similar matters
- Counsel management and the People team on new or pending federal and state legislation, laws, rules and regulations, and industry developments and trends that affect the company and its operations
- Efficiently manage outside counsel with an eye toward minimizing outside counsel expense and meeting budget
- Provide substantive support for the rest of the Legal team as needed, including strategic transactions and other ad hoc projects
What we’re looking for:
- J.D. from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials
- 7-9+ years of experience at a leading law firm and in-house (ideally at a SaaS or other technology company) in roles of increasing responsibility
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the California or Texas bar, as applicable, or eligible to apply as registered in-house counsel in either state
- Passionate about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company
- Effectively able to build and maintain strong relationships with all levels of employees and management
- Detail-oriented, organized, efficient, and resourceful with strong follow-through skillsAbility to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands, and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills
- Strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear, concise, and commercial advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs
Procore Technologies is building the software that builds the world. We provide cloud-based construction management software that helps clients more efficiently build skyscrapers, hospitals, housing complexes, and more. Our headquarters is located on the bluffs above the Pacific Ocean in Carpinteria, CA, with growing offices worldwide. Check us out on Glassdoor to see what others are saying about working at Procore!
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome builders of all backgrounds. We thrive in a diverse, dynamic and inclusive environment. We do not tolerate discrimination against employees on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
Perks & Benefits
You are a person with dreams, goals, and ambitions—both personally and professionally. That's why we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Procore values (Openness, Optimism, and Ownership) but enhance the lives of our team members. Here are just a few of our benefit offerings: competitive health care plans, flexible paid time off (Procore Values Time), employee enrichment and development programs, and volunteer days.