Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
As Privacy Counsel, your legal chops and high-octane brain power will fuel your knack for problem-solving and answering tough questions. You're confident and capable, ready to adapt in the midst of ambiguity, facing down known and unknown challenges that await you. You'll offer solid advice to fellow Rioters and help iron out any encroaching legal and regulatory wrinkles and spring into action if alarm bells ring.
- Educated: you have a JD and a membership in at least one US state bar.
- Experienced: you have at least four years of corporate experience from a multi-national, law firm or corporation, and are comfortable advising business owners on data privacy and security matters. You are familiar with US and international privacy frameworks (such as GDPR), and are comfortable working on tech licensing agreements, commercial contracts, etc. Gaming, tech, entertainment industry, and general corporate experience is a plus.
- A strategic thinker: you're not just a lawyer who only thinks from a narrow legal perspective; instead, you like to approach issues from all angles with a strategic mindset and will play a core role in defining Riot's overall strategy.
- Comfortable with ambiguity: in the midst of uncertainty, you keep a cool head and fight on, even if you don't have all the details; you're comfortable moving in the unknown because risk and change motivate you to evolve and innovate.
- Judicious: your experience, sound judgment, and shrewd decision-making skills make you a go-to resource when folks need advice; your decisions are built on a strong foundation of intel, so you know they'll hold up during a storm even when the wind's blowing sideways.
- A threat to convention: bored by what's considered traditional, you constantly push past limits until the status is no longer quo; you don't "think outside the box" because, hey, there is no box.
- Capable of multi-tasking: you can pivot from one project to another seamlessly and be able to determine what is important and pressing.
- Advise on internal processes around data privacy and security.
- Negotiate appropriate data protection terms in contracts, marketing materials, and Riot policies.
- Provide strategic counsel on matters relating to Riot’s player and employee data practices.
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations.
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to relevant parties within the organization.
- Advise and report to legal leadership, charting the course for big projects and long-term tactics.
- Manage and grease the wheels of Riot's relationships with specialized outside counsel.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).