Legislative Associate, Government Relations
Weedmaps is looking for a dynamic full-time Legislative Associate to join our Government Relations team. Primary duties of this position include tracking legislative and regulatory activity in targeted states and local jurisdictions, working with Weedmaps’ Government Relations team to develop data and organize written products to support the company’s advocacy initiatives and conducting engagement with local officials and industry groups. Exceptional writing, data analysis and interpersonal skills are desired.
Assist Government Relations team with:
- The tracking of state and local legislation
- Engaging with local officials, industry groups and business operators to advance sensible cannabis policy
- Developing factsheets, whitepapers, public comment letters, and other written products
- Organizing data to support Weedmaps’ federal, state, and local initiatives
- Conducting research and drafting reports on state and local policy issues
- Assembling meeting/event materials
- Special projects as necessary
- A master’s degree is preferred however exceptional candidates with bachelor degrees will be considered
- At least 3 years experience working in the U.S. congressional system (examples include serving in a congressional legislative office or staff on a legislative committee or working for an advocacy firm) or a similar position with a State government
- Strong research and writing skills, and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Attention to detail and ability to simultaneously manage and prioritize many tasks and communicate effectively
- A positive, team-oriented attitude and ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
- Fundamental understanding of federal, state and local government structures and legislative processes
- A collaborative and open-minded atmosphere that is excitingly fast-paced
- Company-paid medical/dental/vision/life insurance
- Fully stocked kitchens with healthy snack and drink options
- Generous paid vacation and sick leave policy
- Competitive maternity/paternity policy
- 401k with competitive match
About Weedmaps Government Relations:
The central tenant of Weedmaps Government Relations policy is to encourage legalization of marijuana in a reasonably regulated legal market that minimizes the illegal market for marijuana and doesn’t treat marijuana as if prohibition is only “half-abolished” while protecting the concerns of citizens. Toward that end, we advocate for legalization at the state and local level as well as quantitatively supportable research on the effects of cannabis legalization and the best ways to enact such legalization to minimize social harms while maximizing community benefit. OVer the last 4 years, the Weedmaps GR team has actively advised State/provincial and local governments across the United States and Canada as they seek to craft empirically-based policy on cannabis legalization and regulation.
Who Are We Looking For?
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come.
Formed in 2008, Weedmaps is the largest technology company focused on servicing the legalized marijuana industry in the United States and internationally by providing listing services for dispensaries, delivery services, doctors and brands. Weedmaps has the most comprehensive directory with over 4x the listings of any other service and gives visitors the ability to review and discuss these services while building a sense of community through forums and social networking. The marijuana industry is growing exponentially and the legal and technological challenges it faces are immense. We see this as the perfect opportunity to create unique and innovative solutions that can transform the industry. In addition to developing technology solutions, Weedmaps is also firmly committed to advising on and supporting the legalization of marijuana and the medicines derived from it in a responsible manner.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps family!
Read Full Job Description