As General Counsel reporting into the Office of the CEO for a mission-driven clean energy technology company, you will accelerate the adoption of clean energy and connected home technologies by leading and managing Inspire’s corporate, commercial, and transactional legal needs. You’ll gain broad exposure to Inspire’s business and strategy, be trusted to maintain strong internal and external relationships, and have as much freedom and opportunity as you earn to strengthen your legal and business superpowers as Inspire continues to grow. We’re looking for a diligent and strategic leader who’s ready to take on initiatives that influence all aspects of Inspire’s business, is ready to join a rapidly growing start-up, and wants to play a key role in maximizing Inspire’s impact on the world.
THE GENERAL COUNSEL HAS NINE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drafting, reviewing, interpreting, and negotiating agreements covering the full scope of Inspire’s activities, including corporate and financial transactions, commercial agreements, M&A matters, licensing agreements, service agreements, partnership agreements, sales and marketing agreements, and vendor agreements.
- Advising on intellectual property, regulatory, data privacy requirements, employment, and advising on strategic legal matters and legal implications to mitigate risk and protect Inspire’s business.
- Playing a key role in the evaluation of potential corporate transactions, due diligence matters, obtaining any governance and/or regulatory approvals, and assisting with any post-closing activities.
- Partnering with cross-functional internal departments and teams as a key stakeholder for legal matters to ensure the success of Inspire’s long term strategies.
- Responsibility for the selection, retention, management, evaluation, and optimization of all outside counsel.
- Collaborating with world-class external advisors on advocacy and special project matters.
- Supporting corporate governance and administration for Inspire and its subsidiaries/affiliates, including preparing and reviewing Board materials, corporate resolutions, and Board operations.
- Creating, improving, and implementing company-wide policies, procedures, and standard agreements.
- Maintaining awareness of current and applicable developments in the legal landscape; continually reviewing and analyzing trends that could impact Inspire’s business.
SOME 2020 DELIVERABLES
- Familiarity with 2020 Strategic Plan and Key Initiatives
- Familiarity with Corporate and Company Org Structure
- Familiarity with Business Critical Agreements and Corporate Governance Procedures
- Developing and Implementing a Scalable Contract Review and Management System
- Developing and Implementing an Intellectual Property Strategy and Reviewing/Improving Inspire’s Position on Data Privacy and Security
- Contract Drafting, Reviewing and Executing within Defined SLAs
- Evaluation of Inspire’s Outside Counsel and Development of Go-Forward Management Strategy
- Assessment and Organization of Inspire’s Data Room
- You are motivated to work at a purpose-driven company and be part of a mission.
- You have demonstrated stellar judgment.
- You have an ownership mentality and take responsibility for key outcomes.
- You communicate legal conclusions clearly to those who do not have a legal background.
- You can set clear targets and lead a cross-functional effort to achieve those targets.
- You motivate and inspire others around you.
- You lead by setting an example of hard work and problem solving.
- Must Have
- Admitted to practice in California or eligible for in-house counsel registration.
- Minimum 10 years combined law firm / in-house experience in technology, energy, connected home or related sector, with at least 5 years experience handling corporate and commercial transactions and interacting with senior executives.
- Experience reviewing and negotiating complex commercial and corporate matters, including M&A.
- Experience building and leading internal legal teams and optimizing external counsel.
- Excellent legal and business judgment, strategic thinking, and ability to manage multiple matters, with a willingness and curiosity to learn areas outside of expertise.
- Detail-oriented and organized leader, with unrivaled ethics, integrity, and ability to prioritize effectively in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Nice to Have
- J.D. from a nationally recognized law school
- Experience handling data privacy and data security matters as well as establishing strategies around consumer data privacy.
- Experience working with high-growth venture-backed and public companies.
- Experience working with a broad range of corporate structures.