Counsel, Legal Affairs at Warner Bros. Discovery (Greater LA Area, CA)
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery... the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are...
When we say, "the stuff dreams are made of," we're not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD's vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what's next...
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
Your New Role
Counsel, Legal Affairs supervises the non-attorney staff in the DC Legal Department and oversees various legal aspects of the company's operations and standards and practices. This includes drafting and reviewing a wide range of contracts with talent, vendors, and partners, collaborating with cross-functional departments, creating and maintaining a rights management system, managing legal files, handling film and TV credits, conducting copyright and trademark research, and assisting with estate-related documents. The position also involves liaising with various legal departments throughout the company to ensure best practices. Additionally, the role requires providing contract review and analysis.
Your Role Accountabilities
- Oversee the preparation of, and update to, contract templates as needed for, talent services agreements, custom publishing agreements, vendor agreements, ad barter agreements, NDAs, unsolicited submission declines, name and likeness releases and other miscellaneous agreements on behalf of the Senior Vice President, Legal Affairs and Vice President, Legal Affairs
- Manage the day-to-day operations and supervision of Standards & Practices Administrator and Coordinator Legal Affairs
- Coordinate with corporate counsel on privacy and security provisions for agreements and policies for consumer-facing activities; review and update DC privacy policies and practices for DC's websites, social channels, and mobile apps and provide guidance to address potential privacy issues
- Draft and/or review sweepstakes and contests abbreviated and official rules, affidavits of eligibility/releases, user-generated content submission guidelines, subscription service promotions, and consumer-facing messaging made available on various digital platforms (e.g., online, social media, mobile)
- Oversee the Standards & Practices department and supervise the review of all DC publications for target age ratings, legal concerns, and brand guidelines
- Generate high-end rights and permission agreements on behalf of the SVP Global Franchise Management with respect to the use of DC Comics artwork, characters, and properties by third parties
- Review documents and files to identify DC's rights and obligations as requested
- Serve as company liaison for anti-piracy and content protection, and vet and gather information on infringements for use by corporate anti-piracy team
- Conduct trademark "knock out" searches and liaises with WB Trademark group on trademark clearance for new comic book titles and Character names
- Oversee maintenance and updating of legal indicia rules for publications, packaging and promotional materials; coordinate DC's copyright registrations with the studio's Corporate Trademark & Copyright team
- Draft and review estate-related documents to assist DC talent heirs with changes to royalty payments
- Assist with chain of title requests for use of DC properties in media
- Complete other projects/duties as assigned and provide general support for Legal Department.
Qualifications & Experience
- 2-3 years of contract and intellectual property legal experience preferred
- Management of support staff
- Law degree and four-year college degree or equivalent experience required
- Law firm or in-house legal department experience strongly preferred
- Contract drafting and review
- Familiarity with privacy regulations and sweepstakes rules generation
- Knowledge of comic books and/or book publishing preferred
- Proficiency in MS Office/Outlook or MAC equivalent
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Prioritization and follow up skills with ability to handle multiple tasks/projects concurrently
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Standing, sitting, walking, reaching, stretching, speaking, hearing, seeing, lifting up to 5 pounds
How We Get Things Done...
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits...
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles in locations where legally required. Actual salaries will vary based on several factors, including but not limited to external market data, internal equity, location, skillset, experience, and/or performance. Base pay is just one component of Warner Bros. Discovery's total compensation package for employees. Pay Range: $91,781.00 - $170,450.00 salary per year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Warner Bros. Discovery provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at [email protected].