Associate Regulatory Counsel (Contract)
Tala is looking for an Associate Regulatory Counsel to advise on lending and business compliance in its operating markets and systemize the internal risk assessment process on a contract basis. Do you have a background in compliance and FinTech, and want to use that expertise to help build a world where underserved people everywhere have financial access, choice, and control? Are you able to advise a fast-growing business on complex, international regulatory issues? Are you creative and like to think on your feet? If so, then this role is for you.
The attorney in this role will work with the General Counsel and operations teams to evaluate global regulatory trends and support the company’s ongoing compliance program. The Associate Regulatory Counsel position involves both advising on regulations, drafting policies and working on our compliance program. This role will be based out of our Santa Monica, CA office and report to the General Counsel.
What you’ll do
- Advise on international regulatory matters including consumer protection, AML, privacy and other lending regulations and provide guidance to stakeholders across the organization
- Design risk assessments and implement an evaluation program for ongoing compliance with applicable regulatory requirements and customer expectations
- Establish guidelines, policies, procedures and processes to optimize reviews of new initiatives and other areas requiring compliance assessments
- Support lending compliance requirements in all countries
What you’ll need
- 4+ years of legal and compliance experience focusing on financial services regulation in-house at a FinTech company, at a mid to large size law firm or government regulatory entity
- Experience advising compliance requirements for a fast growing financial services business on emerging regulatory issues and putting systems into place to meet those requirements (e.g. experience creating compliance programs and risk assessments)
- Outstanding writing, research, and interpersonal skills; strong oral advocacy and presentation skills
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally to achieve compliance in a way that is reasonable with business objectives
- J.D. from a top law school
- Excellent demonstrated interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Dynamic team-player with strong organizational and time-management skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Strong project and process management skills
Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is working to expand financial access, choice and control to underserved consumers globally. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
We are reinventing credit by using alternative data to underwrite customers in real time, without reliance on traditional credit reports and helping our users build an entirely new financial identity through digital credit. Our proprietary identity and credit scoring technologies have helped us lend to over 1M+ customers overlooked by traditional finance – with the goal of serving an estimated underserved population of 3 billion globally!
At Tala, we see the world differently. We’re driven by a fundamental belief in people, and we work hard to prove their potential. We take risks that others won’t, in order to put more power in our customers’ hands. Every day, we challenge the limits of a system that has left 3 billion people behind – committing to building a world where underserved people everywhere have financial access, choice, and control. We call this way of doing things Radical Trust. We think trust will be the currency that drives a better financial system – one that sees, understands and serves more of the world’s people.