Anduril is a defense technology company bringing Silicon Valley talent and funding to the defense sector, enabling our customers to make more informed decisions in life-and-death situations. We’ve assembled a diverse team of experts in artificial intelligence, computer vision, sensor fusion, optics, and data analysis that are creating software and hardware solutions to radically evolve the capabilities of the United States and our allies. If you are passionate about solving problems that have a real impact, come join Anduril and build the future of defense.
Anduril’s Legal Team seeks an experienced attorney—Associate General Counsel—to help build our domestic and international government business and deploy the future technology of defense. In this role, you will work on every aspect of Anduril’s business, from helping the business development team drive new government deals, to negotiating license and services agreements, bid protests and litigation, and handling intellectual property, compliance, and employment issues. This position would report to the General Counsel and can be based either in Irvine CA, or Washington DC.
Anduril is a fast-growing company at the early stages of growth. Consistent with this fast growth, members of Anduril’s Legal Team must be resourceful, creative, and eager to take ownership of complex matters. The Associate General Counsel role will require creativity and resourcefulness to navigate domestic and foreign procurement and compliance rules, with a singular focus on helping Anduril deploy its path-making technology into operational settings for the United States and its allies. This role is not exclusively focused on international business development. In addition to helping capture and execute new international deals, you will work on all other aspects of Anduril’s business, from US government contracts, to negotiating license and services agreements, to bid protests and litigation, to handling intellectual property, compliance, and employment matters. Experience across all of these areas is not expected, but a willingness to learn and adapt.
The Associate General Counsel will be expected to take responsibility for significant, material projects, which will have a significant impact on the company’s business. Our team is passionate about the law and policy of defense technology and you should have an independent interest in the key issues in this field. Anduril fosters a diverse, collaborative, culture with tremendous opportunities for ownership and professional growth.
The Associate General Counsel will be expected to travel, on average, 2 weeks each quarter. Anduril’s primary international markets are the U.K., E.U., Middle East, and Australia. When not traveling this position may require calls and video calls with Anduril’s international employees and customers.
Anduril is a venture-capital-backed defense startup headquartered in Orange County, California, with offices in Washington DC, Seattle, Boston, and the UK, focusing on applications of artificial intelligence, automation, and robotics, to defense and aerospace. Founded by executives from Oculus VR (acquired by Facebook in 2014), Palantir, General Atomics, SpaceX, Tesla, and Google, Anduril is funded by top-tier Silicon Valley VCs including Founders Fund, General Catalyst, and 8VC. Anduril’s executives are nationally recognized leaders on AI and technology policy, regularly featured in publications such as CNBC, the Washington Post, Foreign Policy, and CNN.
In only four years, Anduril has combined Silicon Valley's rapid-development ethos with deep expertise in government business to take path-making defense products from prototype to deployment in multiple DoD agencies and to the U.S.’s international partners. This is truly a unique opportunity to build the future of defense at a fast-paced tech startup.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Be a key member of Anduril’s small, dynamic Legal Team.
- Drive domestic and international customer growth by executing new government contracts and growing existing ones. Use your legal expertise to help the Business Development, Proposal, and Engineering Teams efficiently capture new contracts, grow existing contracts, and set up follow-on opportunities for future contracts. Assist in the strategy development for new business.
- Drive customer growth by executing new commercial contracts, particularly in the critical infrastructure space (ports, airports, pipelines, etc.).
- Manage relationships with government and commercial customers. High-trust professional relationships with Government officials are critical to Anduril’s continued success, and you will be called upon to develop and foster these relationships throughout your tenure.
- Provide legal counsel and day-to-day management of the entire acquisitions lifecycle. Oversee and evaluate major proposals, monitor large contracts, lead or assist in key negotiations, resolve performance issues, identify risks and mitigations, and ensure compliance with laws, regulations, and policies.
- Manage outside counsel who advise on international regulatory, tax, and contract issues.
- Work on all legal aspects of Anduril’s business, from negotiating license and services agreements, to bid protests and litigation, to handling intellectual property, compliance, and employment matters. You will represent the legal team in relationships with outside counsel, vendors, engineers, executives, customers, and regulators.
- 8+ years of work on international government contracts or US government contracts, preferably with a law firm or the government
- A deep understanding of the government procurement process; particularly contract vehicles and types as well as data rights issues
- Experience negotiating contracts
- The judgment and initiative required to own multiple projects from end-to-end, whether guiding the Business Development Team through the lifecycle of a deal or handling unexpected legal issues that may arise in defense or start-up companies
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Quick learner and able to contribute to the broader start-up legal function, including topics that may be completely new to you: everything from IP and litigation to financing, securities, compliance, and employment law, depending on the needs of the day
- Licensed to practice law in CA or DC
- Significant international government contracts experience
- Pre-law school professional experience
- Combination of law-firm and in-house/government experience
- Experience with engineering, software, or other technology
- An interest in the law and policy of defense acquisitions with opinions about what is right or wrong in the field and how to fix it
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer, and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you are someone passionate to work on problems that matter, we’d love to hear from you!