Summer 2020 Software Engineer Intern at Factual
Factual’s mission is to organize and optimize the world’s location information. To make this goal a reality, we end up taking on unusual problems with small, focused teams made up of highly motivated people. Our data set covers over 100 million places, 475 categories in 52 countries.
This is an opportunity for students to get experience building large-scale computing infrastructure. We're looking for those special someones and self-starters who can learn quickly and who think coolness is a function of how much data you get to work with. The primary focus of summer internships at Factual is professional growth and development and students are provided with the opportunity to meet and interact with everyone in the company.
Want to help the Software Engineer Team produce the code? Then this Software Engineering Internship is for you.Qualifications:
- Interest in large-scale data processing.
- Interest in natural language processing and/or machine learning.
- Have a facility with data structures and algorithms.
- Programming experience in Java, Ruby, or C++ in a Linux environment.
- Currently pursuing a BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related degree.
- Strong academic performance (minimum GPA: 3.2).
- Strong problem solving and analytical capabilities.
- Strong management skills - organized and extremely high attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Returning to school in the fall.
- You will gain experience analyzing a problem, deploying, and iterating over a solution in a compressed amount of time.
- You will improve the high availability of Factual’s live data.
- You will improve the performance of queries being made to Factual.
- You will enhance a scalable and robust task queueing systems.
- You will ship enhancement of Factual’s data management resulting in better data available to developers.
- You will write an attention-grabbing technical blog post and seeing it published and promoted to the Internet.
Factual is open to interns in the summer months. The specific start and end dates are flexible depending on your academic schedule.
In the summer, there are fun bi-weekly intern events scheduled throughout the summer. Past events include: Dodger games, Escape Room, night at the Hollywood Bowl, and horseback riding through the Hollywood Hills.
Interns will be expected to work a 40 hour work week. This is a paid internship and compensation will be based on the student’s academic level (undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral rates vary). This internship position is a non-exempt position under federal and state laws and will be eligible for overtime per regulations.
Preference will be for junior or senior-level undergrads and for those about to complete their Masters or PhD’s.
If interested in this opportunity, please submit a cover letter with your resume.