Summer 2020 Software Engineer Intern (Full Stack)
The Front Team builds web applications on top of Factual’s core places dataset that our clients and internal teams interact with every day. We’re responsible for designing, building, and maintaining a suite of highly visible, revenue generating products through all layers of the stack. We’re looking for an intern who’s interested in gaining experience in all aspects of the product life cycle and is excited to work on all levels of full stack development.
This internship position is intended to last roughly 12 weeks (accounting for different school break schedules) and is located in Los Angeles at Factual’s Century City headquarters.
We’re looking for folks who:
- Love to build things and ship them out for others to use
- Have explored web development before in personal projects, hackathons, coursework, or previous internships
- Value clean code and quick iteration to come up with innovative, robust products
- Want to experience software engineering from an industry perspective
- Are currently pursuing an engineering degree or possess substantial related coursework
Some valuable skills*:
- Server-side frameworks like Ruby on Rails and Node.js
- Client side component frameworks like React
- Experience translating requirements into data models and working with SQL databases (we use PostgreSQL!)
- Familiarity with git for version control
Cover letters (creative and personalized) and portfolio links will be deeply appreciated.
*We understand many of these are difficult skills to learn in traditional CS programs, you definitely do not need to be an expert in everything on day 1 to thrive on our team!
Factual internship program structure
Factual is open to interns in the summer months. The specific start and end dates are flexible depending on your academic schedule.
In the summer, there are fun bi-weekly intern events scheduled throughout the summer. Past events include: Dodger games, Escape Room, night at the Hollywood Bowl, and horseback riding through the Hollywood Hills.
Interns will be expected to work a 40 hour work week. This is a paid internship and compensation will be based on the student’s academic level (undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral rates vary). This internship position is a non-exempt position under federal and state laws and will be eligible for overtime per regulations.
Preference will be for junior or senior-level undergrads and for those about to complete their Masters or PhD’s.