Software Engineering Intern - Summer 2024 at Warner Bros. Discovery (Greater LA Area, CA)
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery... the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are...
When we say, "the stuff dreams are made of," we're not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD's vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what's next...
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
About the organization:
Warner Bros. Discovery's global technology organization sits at the intersection of tech, entertainment, and everyday utility. Our platform covers everything from search, catalog, and video transcoding, to personalization, global subscriptions, and more. As a pure tech organization, we are essential to Warner Bros. Discovery's continued growth, building world-class products on our streaming platforms Max and discovery+.
Why Join the Warner Bros. Discovery Team?
Delivering one of the largest and most iconic content libraries in streaming to millions of consumers around the globe is no easy feat. It requires high levels of collaboration, a willingness to take risks, and a passion to tackle some of the most complex technical challenges. That's why at Warner Bros. Discovery, we cultivate an environment for our employees to thrive, whether it's building all of our tech from scratch to continuously innovate, working at the exciting pace of a startup, or utilizing our flexible working hours to enhance collaboration with teams across the world. We think big and we hire people who do the same: technologists who love owning a problem and creating their own elegant solutions, and those who are willing to try, fail, learn, and try again because that's how we truly build the future.
We try to expose early career engineers to a wide range of projects, to help them get a sense for where their interests lie. We then pair them with a range of senior engineers so that they can learn from a mix of experiences. Attributes we look for in all our hires across the team are ownership and leadership, proactively taking ownership, having a bias for action, curious and always asking why.
Why Intern at Warner Bros. Discovery:
In addition to building great products and creating some of the best content in the world, we've built a great team and culture! Our program offers unique experiences, with tremendous opportunities for growth. We value and are committed to the work we do. Our engineers are some of the most talented in the industry and are excited to mentor and learn from our interns. You'll have the opportunity to help deliver customer facing, impactful projects and test your theories on the newest technologies and methodologies, while learning from the seasoned pros.
Key Features of the Program:
- 1:1 Mentorship: You'll be assigned a mentor for the duration of the program to ensure you get off to a flying start and continue to meet your development goals throughout.
- Tech Speaker Series: You'll frequently learn about new technologies and trends and meet and learn from some of the most talented technologists in the industry, both internal and external to Warner Bros. Discovery.
- Career Coaching: You'll receive tailored career advice and guidance from experienced technologists, and leaders who have been where you are, and will share how they have successfully navigated their careers.
- Global Exposure: Most of our teams and products have global impact, meaning often our interns are working on projects that impact multiple markets. This provides you with unique insight into solving problems at scale, the nuances between markets and how we leverage technology to provide seamless and consistent quality across our customer experience globally.
- Global Network: By the end of the program you'll have built a global network of talented Engineers, Product Managers, Data Scientists and Data Analysts, Product Designers, Marketeers and business leaders. You'll also have an extensive network for peers with whom you will have built great relationships! It's a small industry and the network you build and the impression you make during the program will be invaluable throughout your career.
- Long-term Career Prospects: While this is a summer internship, we see this as the start of a long-term relationship that can potentially result in a return offer for our Full-time New Grad Program. Many of our current employees are prior interns and for developers early in their career, Warner Bros. Discovery offers unparalleled opportunities. From working on unique and exciting projects, to having global impact and gaining international experience, we value and are committed to diversity and inclusivity. And of course, you'll work with our talented team; our PMs are among the best in the industry and are excited to mentor and develop the next generation of tech talent!
About the projects you may work on:
Projects may include building APIs, SVOD streaming applications, commerce integrations, designing products to prioritize security, developing and improving payment services, and more.
You'll get an opportunity to think about scale, resiliency, and how to make your features production ready. We try to expose early career engineers to a wide range of projects, to help them get a sense of where their interests lie. We then pair them with a range of senior engineers so that they can learn from a mix of experiences.
Previous interns have started making improvements to our production environments within the first two weeks of joining the team. Ultimately, the projects you'll work on will depend on your areas of interest.
In addition to academic qualifications, we're looking for interns who are always curious and have a desire to learn. You'll need to have great attention to detail, but with a great sense of agility and scope.
We look for engineers who are meticulous about operational and engineering excellence and take pride in understanding and owning features from design, through to code, testing, and production, while building in logging and testing throughout the journey.
Balance is important to us; we work hard but think it's also important to have a good sense of humor and have fun while doing great work!
- Must be currently enrolled as a student (proof of enrollment will be required if selected for an internship).
- Must be a rising Junior, Senior or Grad Student.
- Preferred 3.0 GPA.
Warner Bros. Discovery will only consider candidates who are presently authorized to work for any employer in the United States and who will not require work visa sponsorship from Warner Bros. Discovery now or in the future in order to retain their authorization to work in the United States.
- Currently working towards a Bachelors or Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience professionally delivering online technology
- Willingness to learn about Linux/Unix environment
- Able to read and write software in Python or some other general purpose programming language
- Experience using and creating APIs
- Must have excellent communication skills
What you need to know about the Global Tech Summer 2024 Program Application Process:
- Our Summer 2024 internship program is 11 weeks long, commencing June 3rd - August 16th.
- Our internships are paid opportunities. Credit is not required; however, we will provide documentation if necessary.
- Applications are closing on, or before, October 27th. After this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
- We do not require a cover letter. Please demonstrate your passion for the position through your resume.
We are interviewing through Fall 2023 on a rolling basis. A Warner Bros. Discovery Intern Program team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles in locations where legally required. Pay rate will vary based on location, but is within the range listed. Pay Rate: $43 - $47 per hour USD.
How We Get Things Done...
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits...
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at [email protected].