Product Management Intern - Summer 2024 at Warner Bros. Discovery (Greater LA Area, CA)
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery... the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are...
When we say, "the stuff dreams are made of," we're not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD's vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what's next...
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
About the organization:
Warner Bros. Discovery's global technology, product and design organizations sit at the intersection of tech, entertainment, and everyday utility. Our platform covers everything from search, catalog, and video transcoding, to personalization, global subscriptions, and more. As a pure tech, product and design organization, we are essential to Warner Bros. Discovery's continued growth, building world-class products on our streaming platforms Max and discovery+.
About the team:
Central to the mission of the Streaming and Games Team, the Global Product and Design group is responsible for the global streaming platform that supports all the video products our fans love. We plan, design and build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of leading products and brands (Max, discovery+, Food Network, CNN, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, and many more) and together with our cross-functional collaborators we operate as one company with one mission to be the premier media and entertainment leader globally.
Why Intern at Warner Bros. Discovery:
In addition to building great products and creating some of the best content in the world, we've built a great team and culture! Our program offers unique experiences, with tremendous opportunities for growth. We value and are committed to the work we do. Our PMs are some of the most talented in the industry and are excited to mentor and learn from our interns. You'll have the opportunity to help deliver customer facing, impactful projects and test your theories on the newest technologies and methodologies, while learning from the seasoned pros.
Key Features of the Program:
• 1:1 Mentorship: You'll be assigned a mentor for the duration of the program to ensure you get off to a flying start and continue to meet your development goals throughout.
• Tech Speaker Series: You'll frequently learn about new technologies and trends and meet and learn from some of the most talented technologists in the industry, both internal and external to Warner Bros. Discovery.
• Career Coaching: You'll receive tailored career advice and guidance from experienced product management experts, and leaders who have been where you are, and will share how they have successfully navigated their careers.
• Global Exposure: Most of our teams and products have global impact, meaning often our interns are working on projects that impact multiple markets. This provides you with unique insight into solving problems at scale, the nuances between markets and how we leverage technology to provide seamless and consistent quality across our customer experience globally.
• Global Network: By the end of the program, you'll have built a global network of talented Engineers, Product Managers, Data Scientists and Analysts, Product Designers, Marketeers and business leaders. You'll also have an extensive network for peers with whom you will have built great relationships! It's a small industry and the network you build and the impression you make during the program will be invaluable throughout your career.
• Long-term Career Prospects: While this is a summer internship, we see this as the start of a long-term relationship that can potentially result in a return offer for our Full-time New Grad Program. Many of our current employees are prior interns and for developers early in their career, Warner Bros. Discovery offers unparalleled opportunities. From working on unique and exciting projects, to having global impact and gaining international experience, we value and are committed to diversity and inclusivity. And of course, you'll work with our talented team; our PMs are among the best in the industry and are excited to mentor and develop the next generation of tech talent!
About the projects you may work on:
As an intern, you'll gain experience and the opportunity to work across Product, Engineering, Design, and Data Analytics to contribute towards defining and shipping high impact features and products. We want interns to deeply understand the functions of product management and product design at the end of their internship by giving them an end-to-end view of the function by providing them with hands-on experience learning. PM interns will contribute to (including, but not limited to) aspects of product discovery, delivery, and assessing outcomes. We will coach PM interns on participating and conducting user research, understanding customer behavior through quantitative and qualitative analysis, evaluating opportunities using a series of inputs, frameworks for prioritization, and how to partner effectively with design and engineering to create solutions with a customer first mindset. PM interns will learn best practices of go-to-market planning, as well as measuring and assessing outcomes.
• Product sense combined with strong technical understanding
• Analytical skills to solve problems and make informed decisions
• Communication and collaboration skills to get work done and drive impact
• Mentality of starting with the customer and working backwards
• A passion for WBD's mission, vision, products and users
• Insatiable curiosity and a growth mindset
In addition to academic qualifications, we're looking for interns who are always curious and have a desire to learn. You'll need to have great attention to detail, but with a great sense of agility and scope.
We look for product management interns who are meticulous and take pride in their work.
Balance is important to us; we work hard but think it's also important to have a good sense of humor and have fun while doing great work!
• Currently enrolled as a student working towards a Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or related field (proof of enrollment will be required if selected for an internship).
• Must be a rising Junior, Senior or Grad Student.
• Preferred 3.0 GPA.
• Partners effectively with other PM's, Engineering and Design teams for product optimization.
• Possess the mentality of working backwards from the customer.
Warner Bros. Discovery will only consider candidates who are presently authorized to work for any employer in the United States and who will not require work visa sponsorship from Warner Bros. Discovery now or in the future in order to retain their authorization to work in the United States.
What you need to know about the Global Product & Design Summer 2024 Program Application Process:
• Our Summer 2024 internship program is 11 weeks long, commencing June 3rd - August 16th.
• Our internships are paid opportunities. Credit is not required; however, we will provide documentation if necessary.
• Applications are closing on, or before, October 27th. After this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
• We do not require a cover letter. Please demonstrate your passion for the position through your resume.
We are interviewing through Fall 2023 on a rolling basis. A Warner Bros. Discovery Intern team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles in locations where legally required. Pay rate will vary based on location, but is within the range listed. Pay Rate: $34 - $39 per hour USD.
How We Get Things Done...
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits...
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at [email protected].