Intern - Data Scientist - REMOTE at UL Solutions
What you'll learn & achieve:
This role is REMOTE anywhere located in the USA.
This intern position requires advanced mathematical and statistical concepts and theories to collect and analyze data and construct solutions to complex business problems. Performs advanced statistical analysis on experimental or business data to identify, validate and quantify trends or patterns based on guidance from business or research leaders. Constructs advanced predictive models, algorithms, and probability engines to support data analysis or product functions; verifies model and algorithm effectiveness based on real-world results. Designs experiments and methodologies to generate and collect data for business use.
- Identifies what data is available and relevant, including internal and external data sources, leveraging new data collection processes such as sensors, open data, and social media feeds.
- Designs experiments, tests hypotheses, and builds models to explore complex business and safety science systems.
- Conducts data analyses using traditional and complex statistical methods. Designs algorithms and implements software to perform analyses.
- Aggregates, transforms, and integrates multiple data sets to test hypothesis, model complex systems and identify patterns. Prepares and creates program/model output to allow for efficient data analysis.
- Transforms complex data and results into creative graphs, tables, charts, and other graphics to present and/or share the data in a compelling and concise manner.
- Writes methodology, analysis and data insights for research papers, proposals and presentations. Synthesizes all aspects of a data science project to lead non-technical audiences through the goals, methods, and implications of the project.
- Works with business leaders and researchers to suggest other projects and initiatives that will advance the organizations goals.
What makes you a great fit:
- Currently pursuing a University Degree (equivalent to a Master's degree) in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science or a related discipline.
- Solid technical knowledge and experience working with Python programming language.
- Experience manipulating large datasets and using databases with experience in general purpose programming language such as Python and/or SQL.
- Ability to develop solutions to loosely defined business or research problems by leveraging pattern detection over large data sets.
What you'll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn't new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 129 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you'll almost always hear, "the people." Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We're able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers' create. We're inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: The hourly salary for this position is $25.00-$35.00 and is based upon years of completed education.
Working at UL is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every day. This is our normal. Curious?
To learn more about us and the work we do, visit UL.com.