HR Compliance Specialist at Clutter
Clutter is an on-demand, technology company based in Los Angeles that is disrupting the $50B/year self-storage and moving industries. We’ve built an end-to-end logistics and supply chain platform that enables us to offer consumers a much more convenient solution at price parity with the incumbents. We’ve raised $300M from a number of VCs, including SoftBank, Sequoia, Atomico and GV (formerly Google Ventures). We have 500+ team members and tens of thousands of customers in 7 major markets across the US with plans to be in 50+ markets, domestically and internationally, within the next 5 years!
At Clutter, we're fortunate to be providing a consumer value proposition that people love and one that makes economic sense - a true product/market fit that few startups ever find. To deliver on our promise to consumers, team members and investors, we're focused on hiring, training and retaining exceptional individuals. This means that we have a very thorough interview process and maintain high performance expectations, but we'll always be transparent with you and respectful of your time.
Clutter is looking for an HR Compliance Specialist to ensure the company’s HR policies and processes comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. This position will oversee all aspects of HR compliance, including I-9 compliance, leave of absence/FMLA, sick leave and other leave/time off policies, short-and-long-term disability benefits, reasonable accommodation, wage and hour and predictive scheduling. The HR Compliance Specialist will manage day-to-day activities and help formulate the company’s long-term strategy, working proactively with external legal and other departments on compliance-related issues as well as on any external audits conducted by government officials. This individual will report directly to the Head of People Operations.
What you’ll do:
- Own HR Compliance and be responsible for managing, inventorying, assessing, controlling, and developing compliant policies/procedures to reduce HR compliance risks nationally
- Oversee all aspects of HR compliance, including I-9 compliance, rest and meal periods, leave of absence/FMLA, sick leave and other leave/time off policies, short-and-long-term disability benefits, reasonable accommodation, wage and hour and predictive scheduling
- Monitor new laws or regulations related to HR compliance and drive continuous process and program improvement
- Manage the company’s reporting requirements, including Affirmative Action (OFCCP) and EEO-1
- Keep track of metrics and conduct audits for each compliance area to ensure compliance
- Lead compliance-related projects and initiatives and proactively formulate risk mitigation strategies
- Collaborates with People Ops to ensure appropriate training is provided to Operations and CX on compliance requirements and the company’s compliance policies and processes
What we're looking for:
- Desire to be scrappy and continuously strive to do more with less
- Positive “can do” attitude coupled with a strong commitment to integrity
- Ability to evaluate problems using a longer time horizon and not sacrifice long-term value for short-term results
- Ownership mentality and propensity to take responsibility for key outcomes
- Detail-oriented and organized with unrivaled ethics, integrity, and ability to prioritize effectively to accommodate tight deadlines in a dynamic start-up environment
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally, build strong relationships and become a trusted partner to relevant stakeholders
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to use sound judgement to drive complex issues to resolution and influence to achieve result
- Exemplary writing skills, with an ability to customize work product to both formal and informal settings
- Bachelor's degree from top university, Juris Doctorate (J.D.) a plus
- 3+ years of previous experience in HR, with a strong understanding of compliance and/or policy
- Experience working with large and geographically dispersed non-exempt workforce
- Experience managing complex HR projects and operationalizing HR policies and strategy
- Strong understanding of US employment law and state employment laws (including CA, WA, NY, NJ)
Clutter is committed to fostering a fair, inclusive, and equal work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities that we serve, where each team member is empowered to come to work as their true self. Diverse teams are more successful, which is why Clutter aims to be a leader in workplace equality and move both our company and the industry forward.