Flexport is seeking a senior leader to direct our efforts in Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB). You’ll handle both strategic elements and hands-on implementation, and work cross-functionally to help us grow with a DEIB mindset.
We have reached the scale as an organization, where it's become clear that we need a “lightning rod” to center our early-stage and grassroots DEIB strategies and programs and to embed DEIB into our business strategies and people programs. We’re a global business at our core and need a leader who can help us address the unique challenges of each geography. Working in close partnership with our Executive, our Compliance and People teams, you’ll help us identify, implement and analyze ways we can improve.
The ideal candidate for this position will have prior training and/or related human resources experience, particularly in supporting DEIB programs and initiatives. You should have a proven track of building and driving programs that have had a measurable impact on workforce diversity, inclusivity, and retention. You’ll need to have strong analytical skills and an ability to translate metrics, research, and trends into strategy and impact.
Additionally, this position will be responsible for proposing and managing D&I training needs, mentorship programs, equitable performance evaluations and will provide inspirational leadership to the ERG and Leadership community.You will:
- Design, build, and launch strategic programs that establish and infuse DEIB throughout all geographies and aspects of our employee experience and business practices
- Partner with senior leaders and People Business Partners across all functions and geographies to develop tailored plans for advancing their unique DEIB goals
- Strategize with our Communications team to spread awareness of our DEIB initiatives both internally and externally
- Use data to direct decisions and create metrics to measure the effectiveness of corporate DEIB initiatives
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports with qualitative and quantitative insights that drive recommendations to the senior leadership team,
- Propose and manage D&I training needs in coordination with the People and Learning and Development Team.
- Provide inspirational leadership to our ERG community.
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal/state laws, policies, and procedures (e.g. Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity, Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, etc.).
- 12+ years of related experience
- Related experience includes DEIB program and design, HR management
- At least 5+ years of experience in DEIB and a proven track record of:
- Operationalizing a DEIB strategy into concrete working plans
- Results and metrics orientation, leading to the design, deployment, analysis and continuous improvement of DEIB training and initiatives
- Proliferating knowledge among leaders and increasing their DEIB capabilities and impact globally
- Partnering with recruitment to enable a consistent, fair, equitable approach to DEIB hiring
- Building up and engaging with Employee Resource Groups
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a clear and compelling communication style
Flexport has very active ERGs who have helped design this job, with these explicit requestsObjectives:
- Increase retention and engagement for all employees
- Increase the presence of racial and gender diversity within leadership roles
- Diversify candidate pools
- Provide ERGs with access to the executive team
- Develop a comprehensive D&I strategy
- Designing a program to foster mentorship for minority employees from senior leaders
- Advising on recruiting and marketing programs that aim to diversify candidate pools
- Resolving budgetary conflicts or blockers
- Provide detailed, transparent analytics to the senior leadership and the Flexport community regarding hiring, termination, churn, review and promotion cycles of minority groups to ensure ‘walk our talk’
- Liaising between the executive team, internal comms, and ERGs.
- Utilize analytics to identify potential unconscious biases and work with people managers to overcome those biases to achieve effective performance management.
- Providing guidance for the role executive sponsors play
- Holding ongoing implicit bias, allyship, anti-racism trainings in partnership with L&D
- Executing on a plan of action to ensure alignment between Flexport, ERGs, and Flexport.org.
- Encourage awareness and participation in D&I related activities for all members of the company
- Consulting with managers and leaders on how to support all employees while navigating cultural interactions and issues
- Define strategy and language for Flexport’s position on matters of equity; provide thought leadership (or partnership with thought leaders) and content for internal + external consumption on relevant matters
- Create a measurable framework by which to benchmark Flexport’s progress toward these goals
Reporting Lines will be solid into the Chief of Staff to the CEO and dotted into the Head of People.About Flexport:
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.