Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is working to expand financial access, choice and control to underserved consumers globally. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
We are reinventing credit by using alternative data to underwrite customers in real time, without reliance on traditional credit reports and helping our users build an entirely new financial identity through digital credit. Our proprietary identity and credit scoring technologies have helped us lend to over 1M+ customers overlooked by traditional finance – with the goal of serving an estimated underserved population of 3 billion globally!
At Tala, we see the world differently. We’re driven by a fundamental belief in people, and we work hard to prove their potential. We take risks that others won’t, in order to put more power in our customers’ hands. Every day, we challenge the limits of a system that has left 3 billion people behind – committing to building a world where underserved people everywhere have financial access, choice, and control. We call this way of doing things Radical Trust. We think trust will be the currency that drives a better financial system – one that sees, understands and serves more of the world’s people.
We are looking for a Finance Manager that is passionate about developing a deep understanding of the business and using data to drive important strategic analysis and operational decision-making. This role will lead financial planning and business forecasting, as well as partner across departments to drive key business initiatives.
What you’ll do:
- Understand the key drivers of the business (e.g. growth, repayment, conversion, unit economics/lifetime value of customer) and collaborate with cross-functional teams to align on strategy and define/measure the metrics that drive the business
- Perform detailed financial analysis to model out new investments and strategic initiatives (e.g. ROI, market comparables, market sizing, etc.), identifying the potential risks & opportunities across different scenarios
- Report on monthly financial performance and analyze variances to plan/forecast, articulating the impact to the business from both the vertical (revenue/profit) as well as horizontal (unit economics/LTV) perspective
- Lead annual operational planning and reforecasts, including budgeting for headcount, OPEX, and capital allocation
- Identify opportunities to improve operating spend and allocate capital efficiently - will have the opportunity to work on currency hedging initiatives and capital market raises
- Build and scale repeatable business processes to enable better and faster insights - including custom analytics tools, dashboards, and financial reports
- Invest in the team - bring your own personality, quirks and let’s have fun while leveling each other, and the business, up!
Who you are:
- A collaborative self-starter. You’re excited to pursue new initiatives and love to partner with cross-functional leads to move the business forward
- You have the ability to translate insights into action. You not only build complex financial models, but you’re able to distill key learnings and use those insights to drive strategic planning and initiatives
- A highly innovative problem-solver. You approach a problem from different perspectives and use your holistic understanding of the business to see new opportunities/risks
- A mentor. You enjoy mentoring and get fulfillment from watching careers grow
- Passionate about social enterprise and find meaning in working to make the world a better place
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business, Economics or other quantitative degree
- 5+ years of relevant finance experience in analytical roles - such as strategic finance, investment banking, private equity, management consulting and/or FP&A. Bonus points for experience at a high-growth tech startup!
- Strong communication skills with the ability to influence in an unstructured, cross-functional environment
- Deeply analytical problem-solver. Bonus points for experience with data analytics languages (e.g. SQL, Python) and/or data visualization tools (e.g. Looker, Amplitude, Tableau)!
- Excellent proficiency in Excel
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by Google Ventures, IVP, Revolution, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others.
Benefits and Perks
We offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive health and wellness coverage, 401k and reimbursement for commuting expenses. To promote healthy work-life balance, we offer unlimited paid time off and paid parental leave. At Tala, we provide enriching opportunities for personal and professional development, including travel to our global markets to meet with actual customers.
We truly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.