Director, Pricing at NEXT Trucking
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to providing world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion-dollar puzzle and offer painless freight.
Armed with experienced professionals from Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Salesforce, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. Forbes included us on its 2019 Next Billion-Dollar Startups list, and we’ve been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Brookfield Ventures, GLP and Sequoia Capital.
We are passionate entrepreneurs, creative thinkers, and decision-makers who will transform the freight transportation industry with modern technology. We create delightful product experiences that enable freight to move effortlessly, solving complex problems for our shippers and carriers. We collaborate with some of the best designers, engineers, and business partners to achieve our goals.
Are you NEXT?
As a central and mission critical function in the company, the Pricing team aligns and collaborates across all other business functions to continually determine optimal pricing for both shippers and carriers. The Pricing team plays a number of strategic and tactical roles; understands local and macroeconomic conditions, analyzes competitor pricing, and operationalizes highly dynamic pricing.
As a Director, Pricing, you will formulate and continually improve a variety of pricing and forecasting models, support the sales team in pricing and quoting new business, propose and align the executive team around pricing strategy/philosophy, operationalize benchmarking/calibration of our pricing models, play a leadership role in tracking and improving margin, and contribute leadership to automating and optimizing closed-loop marketplace pricing.
- Hire, manage, develop, and lead a high performing team of pricing planners/analysts.
- Cross-functionally lead and align pricing activities across the company.
- Formulate pricing strategy. Align the executive team and all cross-functional stakeholders in adhering the same pricing strategy/philosophy, considering full business context.
- Develop and improve pricing models/tools, partnering with product development and data science teams, as needed.
- Establish systems for calibrating and tuning existing models, benchmarking vs. competitors, considering supply/demand balance, and adjusting for macroeconomic factors.
- Partner with Sales, Ops, Product, and Finance to systematize pricing operations across the company. Author and help enforce standard procedures. Driver configuration and integrations among relevant NEXT products and supporting information systems. Ensure that internal and external stakeholders (e.g., carriers) receive regular communications of material changes.
- Operationally execute on tactical pricing activity, including supporting the Sales team in pricing and quoting proposals and sales contracts, deciding/approving pricing discounts/bonuses for individual shippers and carriers.
- B.S. or B.A. degree, ideally but not necessarily in economics, finance, statistics, systems engineering, or other relevant field.
- 7+ years of experience in financial and economic modeling. Strong modeling and analytical skills, in general.
- Understanding of two-sided marketplace dynamics, microeconomics, and pricing theory, and demonstrated ability to become an expert.
- Cross-functional leadership and communications skills, including with executive stakeholders.
- Collaborative team player.
Nice to Have:
- MBA degree and/or M.S. or Ph.D. in economics, finance, or other quantitative or analytical field.
- Knowledge of SQL.
- Experience in building data science models and algorithms for ML/AI, Optimization, Simulation, and/or Statistics.
- Experience in transportation, logistics, and supply chain industries.
- Experience in venture-backed startups or other hyper-growth environments.
- Corporate leadership experience with the ability to contribute meaningfully to strategic conversations and executive decisions spanning multiple functions.
What You'll Receive:
- Competitive Base Salary + Equity
- Full Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- 401K w/ company match
- Vacation and Holidays
- Fun perks: open office, dog-friendly, unlimited snacks, and monthly catered lunches!
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry