Renew Health’s mission is to fundamentally transform how medications are managed in the health care system. To do so, we are building a modern and flexible tech stack that will anchor a highly differentiated approach to pharmacy benefits. This technology will power an innovative set of clinical services and exceptional member experience, which together can improve access, increase adherence, and ensure that members maximize the clinical benefit they receive from medications.
We believe that our approach will reduce population costs, decrease medication errors, and dramatically improve clinical outcomes. It will also allow us to align our business model with the interests of health plans and patients--passing through savings to clients and members, and generating revenue through clinical services that improve care and lower costs.
Our initial team includes co-founders of Oscar, Devoted, and Lyra Health, as well as alumni of top companies, including Microsoft, Amazon, McKinsey, Snapchat, DaVita, Google, Cityblock Health, AppNexus, The New York Times, and GoodRx. To date, we have raised $13M in funding, led by Venrock.
About the role:
Renew Health is seeking a highly-motivated Controller with pharmacy benefit manager accounting experience to join our team. As our first Accounting hire, you will own the process of building out Renew Health’s accounting team, GAAP-compliant accounting procedures, and a scalable suite of accounting systems to efficiently support our growing business.
Reporting to the COO, you will lead Renew Health’s ongoing accounting activities and will serve as a strategic partner to company leadership in charting our financial path. The ideal candidate will have deep knowledge of PBM and Medicare accounting procedures, with a passion for building processes, systems, and teams to support a complex, high-growth business.
- Architect, procure, implement, and maintain Renew Health’s financial reporting and systems (e.g. ERP) to create a streamlined and scalable process for financial and accounting reporting across all operating entities
- Develop detailed staffing plan and roadmap to hire, onboard, and train accounting and AR/AP teams
- Serve as the key point of accountability for maintenance, review, and supervision of all accounting and cash management activities (including General Ledger, accruals/journal entries, reconciliations, AR/AP, and payroll) while maintaining and improving internal controls
- Own the process of developing GAAP-compliant financial and accounting procedures, including consolidated financial statements and related analysis
- Lead Renew Health’s monthly close process to ensure timely and accurate production of all related financial reports and analysis, iterating on and improving the process over time
- Collaborate with Business Operations team to support key financial activities within Renew Health, including developing our operating budget and performing related analysis
- Engage with external partners—including accountants, auditors, and actuaries—to drive timely preparation of tax and regulatory filings, to facilitate audits, and to support actuarial activities
- Consult clients and other external stakeholders on best practices for pharmacy benefit management and financing activities
- Provide strategic accounting support and guidance to leadership as part of financing activities, preparation for Board meetings, and around other key initiatives
Qualifications and Skills:
- 10+ years of progressive accounting experience at a pharmacy benefit manager, managed care organization, or within a Big 4 firm supporting these types of clients in an audit or advisory role; Medicare experience is ideal
- Demonstrated experience with PBM and Medicare accounting and cash management procedures, with a vision for how to build a best-in-class accounting operation at a high-growth startup
- Experience working with technology teams to implement a customized ERP solution
- Familiarity with pharmacy supply chain economics and pricing, with an understanding of Medicare Part D subsidies, manufacturer rebates, and the timing of cash flows
- Undergraduate (and, ideally, graduate) degree in accounting and Certified Public Accounting designation
- Desire to join an early-stage company with a bold vision for making a fundamental transformation in a historically-fraught area of the healthcare industry
- Exceptional detail orientation, comfort with ambiguity, and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment with limited resources
- Sense of humor and humility
- Willingness to relocate to Los Angeles (if living elsewhere