Vice President, Engineering
Science 37, a GV & Glynn Capital funded life sciences company, is accelerating the research and development of breakthrough biomedical treatments by bringing clinical trials to patients' homes. We are seeking a razor-sharp VP of Engineering eager to make an impact within a mission-driven organization changing the world through clinical research. As part of the Science 37 team, you will be tasked with leading and scaling our engineering organization as well as have a role with the development of NORA® (Network Oriented Research Assistant), the technology that enables Science 37’s groundbreaking Metasite™ clinical research model. This is a unique opportunity to own, build and lead a team and ensure that we are continuously driving technical value without compromising quality, security and stability. Interested? Keep reading!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and share a vision for the engineering organization. Ensure the team understands the company’s vision and that they are inspired and motivated to help realize it.
- Work across software engineering to build relationships with other teams. Use their feedback and understand their goals to build and prioritize a roadmap and objectives for your organization.
- Refine engineering processes, and encourage and enforce the right behaviors to ensure we continue to ship quickly without compromising production stability. Ensure the team is dynamic and adaptable, be obsessive about rooting out problems and inefficiencies, and get the best out of the team whatever it takes.
- Design and maintain the company's technical architecture and implement external technology solutions where required.
- Coach our engineers and engineering managers to become better versions of themselves. Help develop their careers, and ensure they are working on projects which engage them, challenge them and keep them excited to come into work at Science 37 every day.
- Work closely with your peers on the leadership team to define and communicate the company’s direction, and to help tackle the company’s biggest problems.
- Conducts performance reviews, calibration sessions and feedback discussions. Performs competency assessments across his/her team, and implements and monitors development plans with direct reports.
- Mentors and/or assists in coaching and training departmental team members.
- You have significant experience in software engineering and SaaS architectures with at least 8 years in an engineering management role.
- You have experience in a fast-moving, growth-minded startup, and are comfortable with needing to be flexible and adaptable as requirements change.
- You have strong leadership skills including vision-setting, goal-setting, coaching, team building, empowerment, and cross-functional communication.
- You have a thorough and current understanding of technologies and frameworks, especially our own stack of Node.js, Angular, Objective-C, and MySQL.
- You have a good balance of idealism and pragmatism.
- Strong creative leadership
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
- High level, written and oral communication skills
- An effective communicator; strong communication, negotiation and influence skills
- Proven track record of delivering results and meeting targets
- Good blend of analytical skills, strategic thinking, planning and implementation
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Commitment to results; is focused and results driven
- Excellent time management skills
- Action oriented and innovative; able to translate broad goals into achievable steps
- Motivating; knows how to influence and enable others
- Strong problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Ability to foster and cultivate business opportunities and partnerships.
- Ability to motivate, influence and guide team members and direct reports; gains commitments for others
- Understands interpersonal and group dynamics and reacts in an effective and tactful manner and has a range of interpersonal skills and approaches with ability to select a best-fit approach.
- Experience in building and guiding organizational teams. Leverages each team member’s unique background and perspective to achieve team goals while providing clear direction and accountabilities. Commitment to collaboration within and across departments.
- Ability to communicate in English (both verbal and written)
- Position reports to the Chief Product Officer
Science 37 values the well-being of its employees and aims to provide team members with everything they need to succeed. Enjoy daily healthy catered lunches, snacks and beverages, and top-notch equipment such as the latest Macbook Pro, 4k monitors, and adjustable standing desks. Submit your resume to apply!