In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Thermal Physics Section within the Fluid Mechanics Department performs review, analysis, modeling, simulation, and planning associated with thermal environments and response of launch, space, and reentry systems. The section manager provides leadership and technical direction to the Thermal Physics Section, while supporting internal and external customers as a technical authority in the physics of heat and mass transfer.
- Lead the identification, evaluation, and acquisition of thermal analysis tools for system assessments; and in the development of new tools, as needed, to enhance efficiency and fidelity.
- Lead the planning and execution of ground and flight testing to verify system characteristics and performance for mission assurance.
- Assist department strategic planning by maintaining currency in new and developing methodologies and technologies, as well as projecting future needs for skills and personnel.
- Coordinate with program offices, contractors, and customers in defining new tasks and effectively using resources to meet task requirements and schedules.
- Collaborate effectively with other departments to provide integrated assessments to customers.
- Additional duties include active involvement in hiring, mentoring, guiding resolution of technical issues, and evaluating technical solutions.
- The manager is accountable for the work of the section staff, including detailed analyses, technical reporting, and summary briefings.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field, aerospace, mechanical or equivalent
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in engineering analysis of launch, space, or re-entry systems
- Strong background in heat transfer with significant experience in thermal modeling
- Demonstrated innovative analysis skills and excellent technical judgment
- Proven ability to effectively interact with customers, contractors, and peers
- Strong organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel to customer and contractor facilities to support relevant reviews and testing during normal business hours
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Advanced degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering, with doctorate preferred
- Experience applying theoretical, numerical, and empirical methods of heat transfer
- History of conference and journal publications in relevant areas
- History of active participation in professional society technical activities
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.