System Engineering Director for Falcon LV Ops and Development at The Aerospace Corporation
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Launch Systems Operations and Certification team within the Launch Systems Division is seeking a well-qualified individual with demonstrated leadership and exceptional communication abilities. As the System’s Engineering Director for the Falcon Ops and Development team you will manage and provide leadership for a team of project engineers supporting the execution of National Security Space Launches (NSSL) on the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy LV. This team will evaluate the certification progress and perform Independent Verification & Validation (IV&V) for USSF NSSL missions. You will be responsible for ensuring the team consistently provides technically sound and objective assessments along with recommendations to Aerospace and Space Force leadership within appropriate timelines and budget allocations for the purposes of launch vehicle certification and operational mission assurance. You will also be responsible for providing direction, mentorship and developing the technical and functional capabilities of the team while also building effective working relationships with Air Force team, contractor counterparts, and other interested parties (e.g. NRO and NASA).
- Provide leadership, planning, and management of technical staff and activities
- Assign resources, determine staffing needs, and coordinate activities
- Establish and communicate organizational objectives and goals
- Participate in higher management planning, budgeting and resource allocation
- Provide mentoring and guidance for staff in addition to identifying opportunities for performance improvement and conducting performance evaluations
- Interface regularly at the working-level and management level to ensure accurate and effective assignment of customer tasks
- Foster productive working relationships within the organization and with the customer and contractor community to facilitate identification and mitigation of risks to mission success
- Lead staff and engineering teams across multiple disciplines to provide rigorous, objective and technically accurate assessments and address programmatic impacts
- Effectively communicate status and progress of technical activities, issues, and accomplishments through reports and briefings to Aerospace, Air Force, and contractor teams
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate technical discipline from a recognized institution
- 12 or more years of progressively responsible professional engineering/scientific experience, including substantial experience in a managerial role with proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of contractors, customers, and corporate staff
- Experience with development, analysis, and testing of Launch Vehicle’s for USAF/USSF missions
- Must have experience leading team(s) comprised of diversely skilled and experienced engineers
- A current Secret Clearance or the ability to obtain/maintain a Secret Clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- MS degree in engineering or related field from a recognized institution
- Previous position or experience in leadership and management role(s)
- Effective interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of customer and corporate staff
- Knowledge and experience with Aerospace launch verification processes
- Experience with testing and/or analysis of launch vehicle systems
- Experience with systems engineering and verification of requirements