Sr. Back End Engineer - Society6
Society6 is a print on demand marketplace whose goal is to empower its community of incredibly talented artists to create and sell art online through over 60 unique product offerings. Our focus is on creating high quality products that bring joy into the homes and lives of our large and growing customer base. We take pride knowing our artists make a living by selling their artwork and designs through Society6.
Our team is located in Santa Monica, CA, and we’re looking for the next generation of tech leaders who understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system to be carefully calculated with every decision made.
Our platform is built primarily using PHP, Python, React-Redux, MySQL and CouchBase, and is hosted on Amazon Web Services. Expertise in these areas is a huge plus, but familiarity with other common web languages (such as Ruby) and other relational databases are fine substitutes.
As the Sr.Backend Software Engineer, you will be involved in every step of the development process. If you're seeking an environment where you can have ownership, problem solve with other talented engineers, continue to learn, advance your career, let’s have a conversation.
You’ll Report To: VP Engineering, Society6
What You'll Be Doing:
- You'll work with a team of high level dedicated engineers and product managers in the creation of our e-commerce platform, tools for artists, mobile optimized sites, and search / discovery for our millions of pieces of art
- You'll collaborate with team members to conceptualize and build well-crafted scalable solutions that will meet the demands of our high volume of daily traffic and daily transactions
- You'll constructively provide feedback and insights to your peers through code reviews and other discussions
- You'll produce high-quality results by leading or contributing heavily to large cross-functional projects that have a significant impact on the business
- You'll improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
What You Should Have:
- You have been building web applications professionally for 4+ years
- You have significant experience with imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You write testable, maintainable, and understandable code
- You have a passion for knowledge, continued learning, and sharing it with others
- You are a strong communicator. You can explain complex topics to peers, the product team, and other non-technical team members
Who We Are:
Leaf Group is a diversified Internet company that builds platforms to enable communities of creators to reach passionate audiences in large and growing lifestyle categories. We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of art, design and technology. We want people with an intense curiosity, a commitment to high quality service, who embrace the fun of the journey. Come help us disrupt and transform the digital media and art world!
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We encourage all of our employees to learn and grow personally and professionally so they can assume greater responsibilities and advance their careers within the department or within one of our operating businesses. Check us out here: https://www.leafgroup.com/brands/
What We Have:
- Well+Good is the 2019 People's Choice winner of the Webby’s Award for Best Lifestyle Brand
- eHow is the 2019 People's Choice and official Webby Winner for Social Video/How To-DIY
- Leaf Group is among the 2019 Built In LA Best Companies To Work For
- Leaf Group is among Comparably's 2018 Best Companies in Los Angeles
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.