In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Space Systems Architecture Engineer (Member of the Technical Staff) performs architecture-level assessment, modeling, analysis, and conceptual design activities as a member of the Space Architecture Department (SAD). SAD provides expertise in architecture methods, processes, and tools to an extremely broad range of customers, including National Security Space (NSS) and other defense programs, NASA, NOAA, NNSA, DHS, and others. Members of the Technical Staff in SAD participate in and lead architecture trade studies, architecture conceptualization studies, architecture modeling tasks, and program assessment analyses at multiple levels of complexity, ranging from prototype systems, to full-scale acquisition systems, to complex systems of systems, to enterprise systems. SAD applies disciplined system architecting principles and leads cross-functional teams to provide impactful guidance to assist our customers in making key acquisition, operational, and enterprise management decisions.
- Apply disciplined system architecting methods, processes, and tools, such as the Aerospace System Architecting Method championed by Eberhardt Rechtin and Mark Maier, and the Architecture Design and Evaluation process for architecture-level trades, in a broad range of architecture-level assessment, modeling, analysis, and conceptual design activities
- Architect, construct, and assess architecture and system models and develop and execute innovative methods for advancing the state of the practice of model-based systems engineering (MBSE) and digital engineering (DE)
- Use, develop, and integrate analytical methods and tools to evaluate architectural concepts and system conceptual designs for cost, schedule, performance, risk, resilience to disruptive events or threats, and other characteristics
- Inform system architecting and acquisition decisions with expertise in relevant systems, technologies, threats, policy, and the industrial base
- Participate in program assessments, independent risk assessments, and similar tasks
- Participate in technology assessments, technical risk assessments, and similar tasks
- Closely collaborate with other Aerospace personnel to marshal technical expertise in multiple technical disciplines and domains to enable concurrent engineering approaches to address complex problems
- Work with Aerospace program office, customer, and contractor personnel to elicit and identify needs, requirements, and constraints for studies; build cross-disciplinary teams; scope, plan, and execute the study; and effectively communicate task status, methods, results, and recommendations in briefings and formal technical reports
- Bachelor’s degree in science, mathematics, or engineering.
- Ideally two or more years of relevant engineering or space systems architecture professional experience. An advanced degree might be used in lieu of years of experience.
- Ability to organize, lead, and participate in cross-functional, cross-organizational teams
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse set of collaborators
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present methods and results effectively in briefings, formal reports, and informal communications
- Exceptional time-management skills with the ability to manage multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to learn new skills and acquire knowledge through self-study
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government Top Secret SCI security clearance. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Experience in early life cycle systems engineering and system acquisition processes
- Experience in systems engineering (SE) or system architecting
- Experience in enterprise systems engineering (ESE), enterprise architecting (EA), system of systems engineering (SOSE), or mission engineering (ME)
- Experience with model-based systems engineering (MBSE) or digital engineering (DE) methods, processes, and ecosystems
- Experience in architecture or system modeling, particularly using the Systems Modeling Language (SysML), Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF), Unified Profile for DoDAF and MODAF (UPDM), or Unified Architecture Framework (UAF) Profile
- Experience using system modeling tools such as MagicDraw, Cameo Systems Modeler, Cameo Enterprise Architecture, Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect, IBM Rational Rhapsody, or Vitech GENESYS; or collaborative MBSE environments like OpenMBEE
- Familiarity with spacecraft, payloads, ground systems, launch systems, missile systems, or airborne systems
- Knowledge of space architecture conceptual design, analysis, and concurrent engineering techniques
- Experience with spacecraft systems engineering or spacecraft operations
- Experience with specialized software development, particularly using Python, MATLAB, Java, or VBA
- A Ph.D. or equivalent in engineering, science, or related field
- A current Secret, Top Secret, and/or SCI clearance
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.