Software Engineer, Embedded (Greater LA Area, CA)
Snap Inc is a technology company. We believe the camera presents the greatest opportunity to improve the way people live and communicate. Snap contributes to human progress by empowering people to express themselves, live in the moment, learn about the world, and have fun together. The Company's three core products are Snapchat , a visual messaging app that enhances your relationships with friends, family, and the world; Lens Studio , an augmented reality platform that powers AR across Snapchat and other services; and its AR glasses, Spectacles .
Snap Lab is home to our hardware products with a world-class research & development team. We are focused on pushing the boundaries of what a camera can be, specifically overlaying computing on the real world. Next Generation Spectacles are our first pair of glasses that bring augmented reality to life.
We're looking for an Embedded Engineer to join the Snap Lab team!
What you'll do:
- Lead or participate in the design, architecture and implementation of embedded software in both prototype and shipping consumer products
- Design and implement software or system development components at all layers of the system, e.g. kernel, synchronization primitives, resource allocators, memory management, security, I/O systems, persistence, Camera, Audio etc
- Participate in design reviews, code review with peers and stakeholders to create reliable solutions
- Triage product or system issues and debug/track/resolve by analyzing the sources of issues
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Familiarity with computer system architecture, microprocessor, and microcontroller fundamentals (caches, buses, memory controllers, DMA, etc.)
- Software Development process skills including: source control, bug tracking, and design documentation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to read schematics and component data sheets
- Strong analytical and software debugging skills
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant technical field such as computer science or electrical engineering or equivalent years of experience
- 3+ years of experience with embedded software development and ARM architecture
- Proficiency programming in C or C++
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: BSP/Board Support Package, Operating Systems, Android/Linux Embedded OS, Graphics, Camera, Audio and Display, with a view towards writing performant and energy efficient solutions
- Advanced degree in a relevant field such as computer science or electrical engineering
"Default Together" Policy at Snap: At Snap Inc. we believe that being together in person helps us build our culture faster, reinforce our values, and serve our community, customers and partners better through dynamic collaboration. To reflect this, we practice a "default together" approach and expect our team members to work in an office at least 80% of the time (an average of 4 days per week). For roles with remote consideration: Remote team members still are expected to travel for mandatory in-person gatherings and to fulfill business needs, at least 4 to 6 times per year.
If you are not based in the same location(s) listed for this role and are open to relocation, we encourage you to apply to take advantage of our generous relocation policy.
At Snap, we believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together will enable us to create innovative products that improve the way people live and communicate. Snap is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. EOE, including disability/vets. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please don't be shy and contact us at [email protected].
Our Benefits: Snap Inc. is its own community, so we've got your back! We do our best to make sure you and your loved ones have everything you need to be happy and healthy, on your own terms. Our benefits are built around your needs and include paid parental leave, comprehensive medical coverage, emotional and mental health support programs, and compensation packages that let you share in Snap's long-term success!
In the United States, work locations are assigned a pay zone which determines the salary range for the position. The successful candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These pay zones may be modified in the future.
Zone A (CA, WA, NYC) :
The base salary range for this position is $165,000-$230,000 annually.
Zone B :
The base salary range for this position is $157,000-$219,000 annually.
Zone C :
The base salary range for this position is $140,000-$196,000 annually.
This position is eligible for equity in the form of RSUs.