Software Development Manager at The Aerospace Corporation
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Embedded and Specialized Computing Department is seeking applicants interested in managing the building leading edge software products and systems. Members of this group provide design and implementation support to a wide range of customers including internal Aerospace customers, national stakeholders, and global commercial customers. Some of the organizations previous projects include deploying k8s and NN-accelerator to space, and numerous other rapidly prototyped payloads.
- Work with department director and other managers as needed in all aspects of developing and managing the organization.
- Recruit, hire, mentor, and lead staff to create cutting-edge prototypes in embedded design and edge computing (AI, cloud).
- Interface with internal customers in task scoping, budget and project management.
- Identify new areas of research and lead project teams through the proposal, design and execution phases.
- Ensure the technical quality of deliverables (reports, software, services, etc.) to customers.
- Help manage and maintain the Embedded Systems Lab and work with engineers to identify/acquire software and hardware as needed.
- While this is a management position, the selected candidate is expected to get involved on a diverse set of technical projects. It is very important to be hands-on, willing to learn and be comfortable working in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer/Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline.
- 5 years or more of industry experience
- Experience with the Linux platform: kernel, file-systems, boot loaders, and device driver architecture.
- Proven track record of system architecture design for embedded systems, distributed computing or flight/space software.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret/SCI security clearance issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Advanced degree in EE/CS or related discipline
- Previous management experience is a plus
- Experience with deploying AI/ML algorithms to embedded devices is a plus
- Experience with cloud computing technologies (k8s, k3s, firecracker, etc) is a plus
- Experience with FPGA/VHDL Design is a plus
- Track record of size, weight, and power constrained designs is a plus
- Familiarity with Agile/SCRUM development lifecycle and continuous integration (CI)
- Active TS/SCI clearance