Software Development Engineer II, Content Management Systems at MotorTrend Group
Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities
The Software Development Engineer II, Content Management Systems (Contract\CTH) will help develop the next generation of Motor Trend Group’s platforms for Motortrend.com and key brands. The Senior Software Engineer will be contributing to the implementation of content management, databases, queues and infrastructure solutions for problems of scale on the platform. Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Architect and implement applications for problems of scale.
- Provide technical expertise and troubleshooting
- Collaborate with other teams on prioritizing roadmap initiatives and to provide estimations.
- Contribute significantly to software project and planning efforts.
- Consult and lead on overall software architecture and strategy and drive high impact decisions.
- Enforce standards, best practices, and modern development conventions.
- Mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers. Your written and oral communication skills are superb.
- BA/BS in a Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent professional experience.
- 5-7 years of experience in a software engineer/developer related position, building applications for enterprise customer facing solutions.
- 5+ years of experience with developing software in at least one modern Content Management System.
- Expertise in one or more Content Management System: WordPress, Joomla, Drupal or Adobe Experience Manager
- Expertise in implementing Headless CMS, PHP, MySQL, RDS, Document DB
- Preferred experience in creating CMS plugins and custom editor blocks
- Experience with Amazon SNS and SQS.
- Experience and understanding of Docker and Kubernetes.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge architecting applications on top of high-traffic, high-availability production systems.
- Strong knowledge with software engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, performance).
- Strong knowledge of current web standards and best practices.
- Strong knowledge with integration of 3rd party API’s, libraries, and frameworks.
- Strong knowledge of third-party analytics libraries like Google Analytics and/or Adobe Analytics.
- Proficiency with optimizing for performance, scalability, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Working knowledge conducting code and architecture reviews with an eye for best practices.
- Working knowledge of CI/CD principles with tools like Git, Bamboo, or Jenkins.
- Recent experience working in an Agile delivery environment (Scrum) a must.
- Working knowledge of source code management using GIT, various workflows, and popular branching models.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.