Site Reliability Engineer at The Trade Desk
WHO WE ARE:
The Trade Desk is a global technology company with a mission to create a better Internet for everyone through principled, intelligent advertising.
Handling over 600 billion queries per day (more than 100X the query volume of search globally), our platform operates at unprecedented scale. We have also built something even stronger and more valuable: an award-winning culture based on trust, empathy, collaboration, and ownership. By working together across typical dividing lines, we are better as a team than any of us could be apart.
Do you have a passion for solving hard problems at scale? Are you eager to join a trust-based, globally-connected team, where your contributions will make a meaningful difference?
Come and see why Fortune Magazine recently named The Trade Desk among the best small to medium-sized workplaces in the US.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking to hire excellent Site Reliability Engineers who enjoy managing large-scale software systems. You love learning new technologies and figuring out the most efficient ways to manage thousands of hosts. You want to maintain and improve software that scales to 8+ million transactions per second on a huge, global scale. You believe that servers should be managed like cattle, not pets.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Monitor the capacity of worldwide serving and data systems. Continually improve capacity measurement.
- Coordinate and automate regular software deployments.
- Monitor production alerts, investigate, and solve for both the short and long term.
- Work with developers and product owners to advocate for operational improvements in our software stack.
- Troubleshoot, investigate and fix production issues in cloud and hosted environments, including both hardware and internal software issues.
- Investigate and fix performance issues in a variety of applications and languages.
- Design and build features to improve system and personnel scalability.
- Occasionally participate in an on-call rotation.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- 3+ years in an operational role (DevOps, system administration, SRE, etc.)
- Multiple years of experience with configuration management software such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack, or other types of tools such as Consul.
- Deep experience with either AWS or physical datacenter infrastructure (such as hardware load balancers, imaging systems, out of band management, DNS).
- Ability to code in at least one language.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP fundamentals.
- Experience managing a hybrid Windows and Linux environment, or an eagerness to learn one of these platforms.
- Experience with agile methodologies and a rapid development cycle
- Experience deploying and managing monitoring tools at large scale, such as Graphite, Grafana, Nagios/Icinga, or SumoLogic.
- Database management experience is a big plus, especially Vertica or Microsoft SQL Server.
- Big plus if you are familiar and passionate about software such as Mesos, Kubernetes, and/or Docker.
- Familiarity with ITIL is a big plus, especially Incident, Problem, and Change Management.
- A desire to seek out needless complexity and remove it.
WHAT WE CARE ABOUT:
What and how you can contribute is what’s important to us. Our consideration is not limited by the kind of education you have or the specific technologies you have experience with. Variety of technical challenge is one of the best things about working at The Trade Desk as an engineer, but we do not expect you to know every technology we use when you start. What we care about is that you can learn quickly and solve complex problems using the best tools for the job.
Our culture runs much deeper than just having fun together (though, we do that well too...) – the people we want on our team are trust-builders, generous givers, scrappy problem solvers, and gritty pursuers of excellence.
Does this sound like you? If so, we welcome your application and the chance to meet you.
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without a contract in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.