Senior/Lead Propulsion Development Engineer
Greater LA Area
Relativity seeks a highly talented Senior/Lead Propulsion Development Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will build the core of our propulsion capability via the development and operation of world-class engines, turbopumps, combustion devices, and integration to complete rocket vehicle stages. A high degree of autonomy and leadership is required.
This position is based in Los Angeles but requires travel to our Mississippi test site as needed.
- Design, build, and test advanced rocket engines and propulsion systems.
- Support propulsion system design through all phases from preliminary design and analysis to detailed design, integration, test, and qualification.
- Develop test programs and processes, analyze data and test results, and troubleshoot propulsion hardware and performance.
- Work with manufacturing engineers to develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods using knowledge of product design, materials and parts, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in engineering with 3+ years experience developing liquid rocket engines.
- Strong understanding of launch vehicle propulsion systems and components.
- ProE/CREO experience or equivalent with an understanding and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5-1994.
- Proficient in the physics of compressible and incompressible flow, thermodynamics, multiphase flow, mechanics, and materials.
- Good understanding and experience working with advanced manufacturing techniques to design for manufacturability and assembly.
- Able to work in a fast-paced and intense startup environment.
- Ability to complete projects with ownership of end-to-end solutions and minimal oversight.
- Proven judgment in making coupled technical and business decisions balancing both big picture and execution-oriented factors.
- Experience leading small teams in complex engineering projects.
- Experience with powder bed additive manufacturing and automation techniques.
- Familiarity with industry-standard propulsion design and analysis codes.
- Experience developing propulsion system design and analysis codes.
- Experience managing subcontractors, suppliers, and vendors.
- 5+ years experience developing liquid rocket engines.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
Read Full Job Description