Team and Role Overview
Relativity seeks a highly talented Senior Turbomachinery Design Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This role falls under the Turbomachinery team. We are responsible for designing, manufacturing, and testing the fuel and oxidizer turbopumps for the Aeon engine. This position will provide outstanding technical contribution to the development of the Terran 1 launch vehicle, as well as helping to build a world-class turbomachinery team. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As Senior Turbomachinery Design Engineer, you will develop the assemblies for the fuel and oxidizer turbopumps of the Aeon-1 and Aeon-Vac engines. You will collaborate closely with the propulsion development and manufacturing teams to incorporate improvements into future builds.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to drive their own projects to completion. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to rocket turbopumps. We are looking for someone multifaceted, and capable of working at the interfaces of design, development, and analysis of turbomachinery. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
In order to be successful in this role, you should have the following:
- Degree in engineering or related technical field and 3+ years of relevant experience.
- Proficiency in Siemens NX and Teamcenter.
- Strong knowledge of GD&T.
- Ability to perform basic structural and fluid analysis using ANSYS.
- Knowledge of turbomachinery design and analysis practices.
- Experience managing large CAD assemblies.
- Ability to create drawings quickly and coordinate getting parts made either by external suppliers or in-house.
- Strong communication skills and ability to write work instructions.
- Knowledge of turbopump assembly procedures, including rotor balancing, interference fits, clearance checks, structural proofing, and leak checks.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Degree in engineering or related technical field and 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience performing turbomachinery analyses (bladed CFD, structural, modal, rotordynamics).
- Experience designing bladed turbopump components (inducers, impellers, turbines).
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment.
- Experience working in a flight development program.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.