Senior Structures Test Engineer at Relativity Space
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Structures Test team is responsible for testing every part produced by the world’s largest 3D metal printer. We are looking for a structures test engineer to join the team and help us prove that this printing technology is the future. You will play an integral part in building, operating, troubleshooting, and maintaining all of the test stands at our Long Beach manufacturing facility.
What you’ll do:
Generally, your tasks may include the following:
- Design test stands and supporting systems including their mechanical, fluid, and electrical components
- Write, verify, and maintain test automation sequences
- Plan, document, and execute large scale test campaigns
- Identify areas to improve our processes and help to implement suggested changes
Your near term responsibilities will be:
- Design, build, and operation of the Thrust Vector Controller test stand
- Complete acceptance testing of the first 3D printed rocket
What you need to know:
- Demonstrated understanding and application of structural design first principles
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
- Experience with the design, maintenance, and operation of mechatronic systems (fluid, mechanical, electric, and hydraulic)
- Experience planning and conducting operations including recovery from off-nominal conditions.
Nice to haves but not required:
- CAD experience including management of large assemblies
- 1+ years of FEA experience
- Experience troubleshooting and tuning closed loop control systems
- Ability to size fluid components based on flow, pressure, and thermal requirements.
- Ability to design data and control circuits (low power)
- Familiarity with SCADA systems
- Experience designing mechanism test rigs
- Ability to work in multiple disciplines simultaneously
- Willing to work at heights, in confined spaces, in a dirty environment, and away from your desk.
- Familiarity with cryogenics
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!