Senior Software Engineer
Hallmark Labs is a subsidiary of Hallmark Cards, Inc based in Santa Monica, California.
We currently operate two digital subscription services, Hallmark Movies Now and
Hallmark eCards, as well as ongoing initiatives in personalized, print-on-demand
greeting cards. We are a diverse team of innovators, creators and influencers
leveraging Hallmark’s deep experience in creating meaningful connections and
progressing it into the digital age with cutting-edge technology.
Are you great at what you do and passionate about your work? Are you honest and
Are you a self- motivated, go-getter that likes to have fun?
If so, you are in the right place.
Hallmark Labs is hiring a Senior Software Engineer for the Platform Team with a focus on building Microservices!
Do you dream in code, SOA, algorithms, and data structures? Do you love to work on small nimble teams that focus on writing amazing code to deliver great products with big impact that are loved by customers?
Who we are…
Hallmark Labs (a subsidiary of Hallmark), based in Santa Monica, CA, is currently the parent company of two digital subscription services: Hallmark Movies Now and HallmarkeCards.com. And soon we will be launching our Print-On-Demand iOS App, Out Of The Box. We focus on leveraging Hallmark’s experience with creating meaningful connections with great sentiments, but pushing it into the digital age at a rapid pace and with the cutting-edge technology.
Of course we have the normal perks for a company in Santa Monica: drinks, snacks, writable walls, collaboration spaces, casual dress, weekly catered lunches, ample parking - but we know that is not what you really care about. We are a small and growing company with a talented and driven group of software professionals focused on building great things together, all while having fun!
What we need...
We are looking for a seasoned polyglot engineer that is driven, takes ownership and is solution oriented to join a stellar new team working on cross product foundational platform shared by all our products written in Go or Java.
The job involves the following responsibilities:
Building robust and scalable software in multiple modern object oriented and functional languages. We’re making the company transitions to microservices using Go and Kafka.
- Implement reactive design patterns, microservices, and REST APIs
- Work on integrations with other internal and external teams
- Participate in creating and clarifying User Stories, and in planning Sprints
- Dive into hard problems and successfully deliver great results on schedule
- Design and implement asynchronous, multi-processor solutions
Who we think would be a fit...
We are looking for someone who not only loves building great software, but is also passionate about getting stuff done. You might have worked at large top name companies, but you prefer small nimble companies with tight knit cross-functional teams that focus on getting stellar products to market quickly. You have the skills and experience, but you still love to learn - and you want to work with super talented folks to build great products.
- are a polyglot who enjoys learning new languages and choosing the right language to solve the problems at hand, and are interested in working in Go
- have a track record of projects completed on time - you excel at getting things done
- enjoy refactoring code to reduce code complexity, but understand delivery matters more than perfect code
- think in multi-threaded, asynchronous, and multi-processor solutions
- prioritize mitigating security vulnerabilities as a part of your normal development process
- are not afraid of Test Driven Development (TDD), in fact, you kinda of like it
- enjoy heads down coding, but also have good communication skills, love collaborating and are fun to work with
- 5 + years professional programming experience
- Two (2) or more years of experience each, with two or more object oriented or functional languages, OR two (2) or more years of professional experience with Go.
- BS in Computer Science or related fields, or equivalent experience
- Experience with Service-oriented architecture (SOA), microservices, and REST APIs
- Familiarity with both SQL and NoSQL technologies such as MongoDB or Redis
- Experience in scaling applications
- Strong computer science theory fundamentals like algorithms and data structure design
- Experience mitigating security vulnerabilities
- Familiarity with performance tuning applications with tools like JMeter or Apache Bench
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Experience with Java, Ruby, Python, or Go
- Experience with Apache Kafka
- Comfortable working on small, cross-functional, fast paced teams
- Excellent communication skills
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Hallmark Labs will hire only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Employment by Hallmark Labs is contingent upon the signing of the Employment Agreement, completing Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and satisfactory reference and background checks.
Hallmark Labs is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. To view your rights as an applicant please review the following EEO posters: “EEO is the Law” poster and the "EEO is the Law Supplement"
Excellent medical benefits
401(k) match up to 5%
Life insurance policy for every employee, at no cost
Cell phone and home internet reimbursement
Carpool and parking pass cash-out program
Generous maternity/paternity leave
Employee assistance programs
Fully stocked kitchen with fresh fruit and delicious snacks and beverages
Monthly catered lunches
Soft serve machine 24/7
Great eateries close by, oh, and we're near the beach!
Massage chairs and bicycles
Onsite free parking
Flexible work hours/work from home
Hallmark Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. Principals only please.