Senior Software Engineer at NBCUniversal (Greater LA Area, CA)
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, coupled with our Corporate Social Responsibility work, is informed by our employees, audiences, park guests and the communities in which we live. We strive to foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. Together, we'll continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world.
Our Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) portfolio is a powerhouse collection of consumer-first brands, supported by media industry leaders, Comcast, NBCUniversal and Sky. When you join our team, you'll work across our dynamic portfolio including Peacock, NOW, Fandango, SkyShowtime, Showmax, and TV Everywhere, powering streaming across more than 70 countries globally. And the evolution doesn't stop there. With unequalled scale, our teams make the most out of every opportunity to collaborate and learn from one another. We're always looking for ways to innovate faster, accelerate our growth and consistently offer the very best in consumer experience. But most of all, we're backed by a culture of respect. We embrace authenticity and inspire people to thrive.
The Direct to Consumer (DTC) Engineering & Research team at Peacock NBCUniversal is looking for a Sr. Software Engineer to research and create software solutions that improve the video streaming experience.
Bring your unique expertise and a willingness to explore. We're enabling incredible applications that span a portfolio of video players, embedded systems, testing infrastructure, and end user experience. Flexibility and curiosity are a must. You'll combine a software engineering mindset with an evidence-based methodology to tackle challenges such as process scalability, streaming performance, availability, and reliability.
Our goal is to discover the best way to design and develop innovative video streaming software solutions that will be used by NBCUniversal employees and partners from around the world.
Our team thrives on a diversity of skills, roles, and backgrounds - we're looking to add people who can think outside the box. With unequalled scale, our teams make the most out of every opportunity to collaborate and learn from one another. We embrace authenticity and inspire people to thrive.
- Pro-actively collaborate with other teams and stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements.
- Conduct analysis to determine possible design alternatives for existing systems.
- Architect and design features for existing or new products.
- Build prototypes and POCs pitching ideas with Product management and other stakeholders.
- Identify bugs and areas of improvement in a variety of platforms.
- Mentor junior members of the team.
- Monitor and evaluate competitive applications and products. Review literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects
- Assist in tracking and evaluating performance metrics for products and teams. Ensure team delivers software on time, to specification, and within budget.
- Research, write, and edit documentation and technical requirements, including evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- BS/MS degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with analyzing user/product needs and translating them into requirements.
- Experience with JIRA (user story and bug tracking) and Git (code check-in, reviews)
- Understand a variety of Web Service infrastructures.
- Experience building, deploying, and supporting large scale applications and services
- Hold some sort of advanced industry technical knowledge
- Function as a multi-domain expert
- Communicate effectively both written and verbally to stakeholders and engineers.
- Being an analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, and with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done.
- Excellent problem solving, design, coding, and debugging skills.
- Passionate about video playback, you strive for playback quality and performance.
- An active participant in collaborative, engaging, ideation sessions. Flexible enough to learn, adapt, and confident enough to educate others.
- Experience with video streaming technologies.
- Deploying and maintaining development infrastructure across local and cloud-based systems.
- Working knowledge of AWS cloud technologies
- Experience integrating with MSE/EME players.
- Knowledge on HTML5 & CSS.
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website. Salary range: $110,000 - $160,000
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.