Senior Software Engineer - Customer Loyalty (Los Angeles) at sweetgreen
Senior Software Engineer - Customer Relationship Platform
Who We Are
At sweetgreen, a Senior Software Engineer is responsible for building, testing, debugging/troubleshooting, and maintaining code for both web and native applications. They share some infrastructure responsibilities regarding DevOps, participate and support the team around continuous integration and deployment, and help drive standards with Lead Engineers and the rest of the department.
It is expected that a Senior Engineer will promote strong design principles as they relate to scalability, disposable resources, automation, loose coupling, service oriented design, databases, removing single points of failure, cache, cost, and security. They are trusted squad members that heavily influence the design and implementation of new services while also integrating with and upgrading existing ones to address mission-critical problems. Working closely with Lead Engineers, Software Engineering Managers and Principals, they champion architectural decisions that facilitate the work of their teams and our business as a whole.
Top Goal - Within one year take part in the planning, development and execution of the Customer Relationship Platform (CRP) efforts that enable the team and business to execute a more robust set of features and capabilities around user authentication, marketing promotions and loyalty.
- Map the Existing System: A guest order flows through many systems before making it to our customers. In your first two weeks, you’ll have developed a deep understanding of the order lifecycle by reviewing the existing system design and documentation. This will be the case not only for the order flow itself but also the systems currently in place that drive a user's loyalty / promotions experience. This learning period will enable you to take the first steps towards enabling your top goal.
- Planning: Rounding out the first month, you will spend your time working with a Lead Engineer and a Software Engineering Manager to wrap up and solidify an implementation approach for the prioritized work at hand. The result of this work is a backlog of user stories.
- Implementation: By day 30, you will spend 80% of your time on the technical implementation of the outlined work. This manifests itself as ownership over the approach as well as presenting your own pull requests and reviewing others. In partnership with Product and Technical Program Management you’ll hold yourself accountable to the dates that you committed to.
- Documentation: In order to ease future teammate onboarding, debugging, and knowledge sharing of complex services while mitigating the risk of tribal knowledge, you’ll contribute to our established information architecture within Confluence. This would result in documentation as developer readme files, OpenApi or swagger docs or other applicable documentation methods.
- Mentoring and guidance: As a Senior Engineer you will find yourself reviewing the work of your fellow engineers in the form of pull requests. You would play a role in guiding, mentoring and supporting the team’s growth. Helping to ensure that pull requests are reviewed and addressed within a timely manner and encouraging constructive feedback / conversations.
- Raise The Bar: At sweetgreen we dedicate a portion of our attention to matters that may not be immediately customer facing and instead allow for us to work smarter, or faster, or simply reduce friction in the developer experience. You’ll work with a Software Engineering Manager to develop against a backlog of tasks focused on operational excellence. These tasks can vary from engineer “quality of life” improvements to larger security or upgrade improvements across the codebases the team owns.
- Demonstrated track record of building exceptional software
- Knowledge and experience with AGILE methodology.
- Experience consuming RESTful APIs.
- Experience deploying website A/B testing or personalization
- Strong understanding of best practices relating to frontend architecture
- A strong desire to experiment with bleeding edge technology and understand relating market trends.
- Strong problem solving, communication, and creative skills.
- Strong time management.
- Three different medical plans to suit your and your family's needs
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible PTO plan
- 401k; company match of 50% up to 3% of employee contribution
- 5 months paid family leave; we believe in fully supporting new parents
- Employee HSA and FSA
- Complimentary greens
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
At sweetgreen we are focused on building a great experience for our customers and we look to constantly enhance that through empowerment of our teams to build innovative solutions. We believe that it’s a mix of individual skill and collaboration that leads to successful outcomes. There is no standard definition of what an Engineer is or does, and depending on where you’re coming from things might look a little different.
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen restaurant, our 4,000+ team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means. Our people are our most valuable ingredient - the heart of our company, the face of our brand, and what truly makes the sweetgreen experience special and unique.
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.