BOULEVARD | ABOUT US
Boulevard was founded with the fundamental belief that personal care should be convenient for all. Our mission is to maximize potential for salons and spas, as well as the clients they serve.
Developed in collaboration with industry-leading owners and operators, our scheduling, point of sale, and conversation platform was carefully designed to drive revenue, automate workflows, and convert customers from visitors into valuable, long-term clients. By facilitating a better, personalized experience across every transaction and interaction, Boulevard’s technology not only helps salons and spas to survive, but thrive. Take a look at how we (and YOU) can make that happen.
DARE TO DISRUPT | INSPIRE INNOVATION
We are diligent about solving hard problems and are not afraid to challenge conventions or question the status quo. If our ambitions aren't terrifying, we aren't pushing ourselves enough.
We have an insatiable curiosity and embrace experimentation. We believe that simple solutions require the most sophistication and we design each and every detail to maximize potential, power and impact. Do our values match? Read through our story and what we value the most.
Come do the best work of your life at Boulevard.
Our platform consists primarily of a thoughtfully crafted Elixir/OTP application, encapsulating all our business logic and enabling innovation and iteration around our products. We are looking for highly proficient software engineers who are passionate about creating elegant solutions to complicated problems.
As a Senior API Engineer at Boulevard you will be responsible for designing and building the core services that power Boulevard. From an advanced Webhook system for third party developers, to a public API serving powerful integrations, you’ll play a direct role in helping to design the architecture and implement the solutions to help us achieve that goal. You'll have a direct impact on the product roadmap, regularly collaborating with the Design and Product teams to architect the best solutions, not the easiest.
Boulevard is on a journey to become a first-class platform. We pride ourselves on using the best technology for the job, maintaining high code quality while iterating with extreme speed, and sharing learnings along the way (both internally and externally).
What you’ll do here
- Own projects from design, through development, to production.
- Enable BLVD to play well with other systems by expanding on our internal API in an ecosystem-centric way.
- Understand the intricacies of supporting integrations with third-party systems.
- Quickly distill fast-moving product requirements into tangible engineering tasks and designs.
- Work to better enable our platform to service the needs of larger enterprise customers
- Write clean, readable, performant, secure, and documented code.
- Perform QA on your own work, write automated tests, and optimize your code.
- Do code reviews to maintain high code quality, while also iterating quickly.
- Work in highly performant and collaborative teams.
What you’ll need to thrive:
- Experience: Have at least 6+ years of functional programming experience as an engineer (Must have experience with functional languages like Elixir or Erlang) and strong familiarity with GraphQL
- API Know-how: Extensive experience building reliable and scalable APIs from the ground up that serve web/mobile applications, alerting & health systems, or third party integrations. This includes designing API abstractions and implementing core API concepts such as authentication
- Documentation: Understanding of how to write proper documentation for APIs and how to properly share that documentation both externally and internally
- Database Expert: Strong experience with relational databases and SQL (we use PostgreSQL).
- Web App: Experience in building large-scale web applications in a fast-moving team environment
- CS Foundations: Strong knowledge of computer science principles
- Dive Deep: A generalist background and the ability to “go deep” anywhere in the stack
- Pride in the work: Pride for the work you do and care deeply about the products which consume your services
- Team Player: Working in highly performant and collaborative teams
- Design Appreciation: Strong appreciation for good design
- Mentor and Mentee: Smarts, humility, communication skills, and equal willingness to teach and learn
- Building Solutions: Desire to shape our engineering culture by coming up with ideas, tools, and infrastructure wherever you see a problem to be solved
- BONUS POINTS for demonstrating work beyond the back-end, experienced in creating front-end interfaces or architecting server infrastructure | Loving data and having implemented data stores | Built, documented, and monitored a public API platform | Experience building PCI and HIPAA compliant systems | You maintain or contribute to an open source project
Within 1 month you’ll...
- Graduate from Boulevard’s platform training course
- Connect with key engineering and product stakeholders across the company
- Learn and understand the current engineering workflow
- Learn and understand the core business objectives, areas for improvement, and become familiar with customer pain points & feature requests
Within 3 months you’ll…
- Suggest best practices and improvements for internal tooling and processesUnderstand the intricacies of supporting integrations with Netsuite / Classpass / Shopify / Payroll systems, Time clock systems, Marketing tools, and many more…
- Work to better enable our platform to service the needs of larger enterprise customers for example through further Inventory, Online Booking, Subscription Billing, or UI integrations
- Help design and build the core services that power Boulevard
- Fully understand your contributions to the Engineering roadmap
After 6 months you’ll...
- Be a key part of a growing team with potential leadership opportunities
- Show a clear, scalable path to effectively address our future roadmap needs
- Expand your knowledge for your own career development and work on countless opportunities that have a meaningful impact to the business’ bottom line
In addition to the wonderful people you’ll get to work with (meet some of them here!) and challenging projects that’ll push you - Boulevard is here to make sure you’re always at the top of your game emotionally, mentally, and physically.
Take a break whenever you need to with our unlimited vacation day policy.
Fully remote so you can choose where you want to work.
Health is a priority so we’ve got you covered with dental, medical, vision, and life insurance.
Investing in the future with a 401(k) option.
Equity: get ahead on the ground floor and grow with Boulevard.
Hear what Leo, one of our architects, has to say about life at Boulevard.
Read through what our customers are saying about our product.
Check out our latest product release and how we’re continuously working to improve.
Our team values and celebrates our diverse backgrounds. Being open about who we are and what we do allows us to do the best work of our lives. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too.
Read Full Job Description