Senior Robotics Software Engineer (Greater LA Area, CA)
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Robotics Software Engineering Team is building out an in-house robotics controls platform to enable the development, instrumentation and operation of our large-scale additive manufacturing systems and pave the way for the continuous invention of new capabilities. We favor performance, simplicity, simulation/testing and reusability, and are building cohesive interfaces with every piece of equipment we use, while also providing a system with which custom robots and additive systems can be built and integrated.
What you’ll do:
- Work with a dedicated team of inventive engineers building a cohesive robotics platform to Extend and refine architecture for a high-performance, real-time linux-based platform for robotics and industrial automation
- Real-Time Software Development: Design, implement, and optimize software components for real-time control and coordinate of robotics systems, adhering to strict performance and timing requirements
- Kernel Level Expertise: Customize, configure, and optimize the real-time Linux kernel for specific robotics applications, ensuring deterministic behavior and low-latency execution
- Robotic Control Algorithms: Develop and optimize algorithms for sensor data processing, motion planning, trajectory generation, and closed-loop control to enable precise and efficient robotic movement and manipulation
- Integration and Testing: Collaborate with cross-functional teams including hardware engineers and system integrators to ensure seamless integration of software with hardware components. Conduct thorough testing and validation of the software to guarantee system functionality and reliability
- Performance Optimization: Identify and address performance bottlenecks, latency issues, and resource constrains to achieve optimal real-time performance on Relativity’s Stargate Platform
- Safety: Implement safety-critical software practices and ensure compliance with industry standards and regulations
- Code Quality and Documentation: Maintain high-quality code standards by writing clean, maintainable, and well-documented code. Share knowledge through comprehensive documentation and technical presentations
- Technical Leadership: Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior engineers and other stakeholder teams
- Continuous Learning: Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in real-time Linux, robotics, and related technologies. Apply emerging tools and techniques to improve software development processes
What you need to know:
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Robotics, or other related field
- Demonstrated experience with network fieldbus configuration (EtherCAT, profinet, CANbus, Ethernet/IP)
- 5+ years of experience developing software for high performance environments
- Proficient in creating software for embedded environments in C and C++
- Expertise in Linux kernel customization, configuration, and optimization for real-time performance
- Proven ability to successfully conceptualize, architect and implement complex software solutions in a team environment
- Experience developing software integrations with hardware systems that may lack an API or library
- Familiarity with Robot Operating System (ROS2)
- Understanding of robotics kinematics, 3D transformations, quaternions and linear algebra
- Experience installing, configuring and using Linux in a complex network environment
- Knowledge of motion control concepts and experience setting up motor drives
- Experience integrating computer vision and sensors into an automation environment
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with industrial robot manipulators (KUKA, ABB, UR, etc)
- 2+ year’s experience developing in TwinCAT environment
- Understanding of TwinSAFE safety development
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead a small software development team
- Experience developing with Acontis EtherCAT library or similar
- Industry certification and/or experience with functional safety for machinery
- Experience with robotic weld systems
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The below-range represents Relativity Space’s current good-faith pay scale for this role. Relativity Space reserves the right to modify or update this range at any time.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace