GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Senior Python Engineer spearheads GumGum's effort in scaling our AI Platform using bleeding edge technologies and frameworks for a product we call Verity. This role is responsible for the design and implementation of our backend cloud based services that implement machine learning technologies.
Engineering team members at GumGum are encouraged to share ideas which can often influence product decisions. The person in this role will need to stay relevant and up to date with state-of-the-art technology. The person in this role will make a significant impact on Verity’s product offerings which will be key to generating revenue streams for the business.
- Design and implement backend microservices for:
- the Verity Computer Vision system which processes image and video at scale
- the Verity Natural Language Processing system which processes html and text at scale
- Enhance existing microservices to be more cost effective and scalable
- Implement automated unit and integration testing
- Implement logging and performance monitoring of microservices
- Review suggested code changes from others, make suggestions to improve product and system performance
- Participate on rotational on-call to support the Verity Platform production system during business and non-business hours
- Take ownership of parts of our Python projects for Verity and products alongside the rest of the MLE team members
- Perform hands-on Machine Learning tasks and statistical analyses in Python
- Write efficient, clean, documented, scalable and maintainable Python code following the Object Oriented Paradigms and Design Patterns.
- Collaborate regularly with cross-functional teams to build upon existing Verity products, brainstorm creative solutions for new products, and to share technical learnings with each other.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or Physics, Machine Learning or a related technical field is required
- 5+ years experience developing python based microservices using advanced techniques is required
- 3+ year experience developing in a cloud environment
- Experience with designing and implementing scalable systems is required
- Experienced with modern testing, debugging and automation techniques is required
- Experienced with designing, developing and extending complex distributed systems in a cloud environment such as AWS is preferred
- Experienced with various types of data persistence and caching technologies such as DynamoDB, Elasticache (Memcached, Redis) is preferred
- Experience using machine learning libraries is preferred
- Experience in CI/CD and deployment automation in a dockerized environment is preferred
- Experience with Spark is preferred
- Experience with Spark Structured Streaming is preferred
- Experience with Databricks is preferred
- Expert ability to write robust code in python
- Strong communication skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams including both technical and non-technical team members
- Project management and excellent prioritization skills
- Understanding of software architecture including UI, frontend, and backend
- Ability to rapidly and effectively change context throughout the day
- Quick learner with the ability to be effective in new technologies at speed
- Organized self-starter with proactive attitude
- Critical thinker, able to break down complex problems and work with ambiguity
- Team player that works well with others in a cross functional team
- An advocate for continuous learning such that they are motivated to stay on top of latest developments
Benefits & Perks
- Medical Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Vision Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Dental Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employer-Matched 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Stock Incentive Program (role dependent)
- Paid Parental Leave - Birth parents can receive up to 16-18 weeks for birth recovery and baby bonding. Non-birth parents can receive up to 10 weeks for baby bonding
- Transitional Return-to-Work Schedule
- Modern Family Support: Cleo App
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal and Identity Theft Protection
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- WFH Stipend
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Flexible Time Off
- Veterinary Discounts
- WeWork Monthly Pass
- Pet friendly organization - We love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Virtual company events and (optional) in-person celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
- Anniversary recognition and awards
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The VOICE Coalition - through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Optional return to office: Our big vision for our futuristic “Farmhouses” in 2022!
- Offices will now be referred to as the “GumGum Farmhouse” -- a futuristic space centered around a bigger purpose: flexibility, sustainability, community, and growth!
- GumGum will continue to be a flexible/remote-friendly environment, however, offices will re-open in 2022 for any employees who choose to come in to collaborate, participate in an event, host your clients, contribute to our growing of plants/herbs/vegetables/etc.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum expands globally! Our company recently acquired JustPremium, a European-based company that utilizes creatives as a means to develop digital environments. JustPremium’s rich media is one of the largest in the world, and brings forward higher performing ads that adds value to GumGum’s already thriving contextual intelligence. With this acquisition, we now have 375 + employees globally, as well as new market expansion including Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, and Mexico. Together we will become the most powerful global solution for a cookieless future through contextual technology and high-impact creatives.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum